Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant pfj

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really a loaded question which would take a lot of time to explain, and I'm not sure of your intention in asserting the prayer(s), so I don't want to assume anything and provide you with the wrong information. Would you please be more specific as to the reason for your question? Thanks! :)

Malibu Barbie said:
That's really a loaded question which would take a lot of time to explain, and I'm not sure of your intention in asserting the prayer(s), so I don't want to assume anything and provide you with the wrong information. Would you please be more specific as to the reason for your question? Thanks! :)

sure - i'm sorry - i really know nothing about law

but, this is what happened.

My friend, Justin, got a citaton

1. Possess ½ ounce or less of marijuana, a controlled substance included within schedule VI of the North Carolina Controlled Substance Act.
2. Did possess Xanax, a controlled substance included within schedule IV of the of the North Carolina Controlled Substance Act.

thinking honesty is the best policy at his court date jan 18 he pled guilty. he has to go back to court wednesday. he just told me about it all the other day, and i started calling law firms. oh, yeah - he had forgotten about all this and doesn't think he can get off work wednesday. anyway, he thought he would just pay a fine and everything would be okay.

i called cochran law firm. they said he would probably be facing a year in jail (said xanax was a felony-he had 3 on him at the time) a $1000 fine or both.

the Lawyer at Cochran said they would do the case for a min. of $5000. Justin doesn't have that much money and i don't have that much to loan him.

oh yeah, he has 2 priors (2004) Possess ½ ounce or less of marijuana.

obviously Justin hasn't gone about this in the best way or given the matter the seriousness that he should have. But, what's done is done. I'm trying to figure out how to help him now. He's been at his job for 6 months - his first really great job, he can't afford to lose it. He's getting his life on the right track and is doing better than I've ever seen him.

I'm pulling at strings here, but there has to be some way to help him. any advice would be great.

thank you.

Well, I really feel that he needs an attorney, even if it's a court-appointed attorney. I know that a lot of people (laymen) feel that court-appointed attorneys aren't "that good", however, these attorneys are rated on their "wins" and "losses", and those ratings are published to the public in general, so they have just as much to lose as paid-attorneys to try to "win" their cases. This affects their employment (jobs applied for with law firms in the future) and can either increase or decrease their clientele, whether they're sole practitioners or working for a law firm.

Has your friend signed any documents thus far to waive his right to a court-appointed attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back