Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft petty theft please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogiduy

mann i completely messed up..i didnt know what i was thinking..i was caught shoplifting 36$ worth of merchandise..this is in ca. being 19 i was arrested...but then i was let go..they gave me a ticket for misdemeanor..petty theft. they said i have to appear in court. what do i do now??? what do i plea?? am i looking at jail time? fines? probations? this is my first time..i dont know what to do..is this gonna be in my record? if so can i be able to get it off? PLEASE HELP!! I appreciate it

pogiduy said:
mann i completely messed up..i didnt know what i was thinking..i was caught shoplifting 36$ worth of merchandise..this is in ca. being 19 i was arrested...but then i was let go..they gave me a ticket for misdemeanor..petty theft. they said i have to appear in court. what do i do now??? what do i plea?? am i looking at jail time? fines? probations? this is my first time..i dont know what to do..is this gonna be in my record? if so can i be able to get it off? PLEASE HELP!! I appreciate it

Since it is your first offence you may just be charged with a fine, probation, community service or any combination of those. From what i have gathered it is unlikely that you would have to serve jail time. As for your record, i am not sure but you can discuss it with an attorny when you go to court or you can get an attorny to represent you and try to make a deal. Hope this helps.

I just went through something similar. Mine was a little more money, just over $100. First offense petty theft, misdemeanor. In court I was sentenced with $435 fine (you can make payments on it), 2 years informal probation, and 1 day in county jail (but when I was arrested I was booked and spent the night in county so I was credited for that and it was cancelled out). Your sentence might be alot less because it was less value, but they may still want you to spend a day in jail. For the record my offense took place in CA, too, in San Bernardino county. Hope this helps!

as far as misdemeanor theft goes, the CA penal code states that is must be between $50 and $400. Now since your item was $36 and you have no priors, you might get an infraction. basically you would get a ticket and nothing would be on your record. i suggest getting an attorney to handle that though. it should be no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back