Sentencing, Plea Bargains petty theft charge first offense in Nassau county NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

June23

I was charged with petty theft and given a desk appearance ticket. The total of the items came up to $380. I've nerver been arrested before. I'm freaking out since I'm a single mother and I don't wanna go to jail. What will happen when I go to court? What are the chances of getting jail time. Or even being offered an ACD? .. If I'm charged with jail time will I be arrested then and there. Help?!

I was charged with petty theft and given a desk appearance ticket. The total of the items came up to $380. I've nerver been arrested before. I'm freaking out since I'm a single mother and I don't wanna go to jail. What will happen when I go to court? What are the chances of getting jail time. Or even being offered an ACD? .. If I'm charged with jail time will I be arrested then and there. Help?!

Okay, this is how some choose to proceed:

They declare they'll never steal again but say so only in their mind.
They appear in court as directed.
They admit to nothing, confess to nothing, plead not guilty, and ask the court to appoint a public defender.
They wait, staying out of other legal trouble, meet with their lawyer, ask about their case, and eventually will receive a fine, court costs, community service hours, probation, and if they do exactly as ordered; the case gets dismissed.
The arrest record will forever stain their once clean name, but the person never sees a day in jail, as long as they do EXACTLY as ordered by the court.
Relax, just read the summons, do exactly as it instructs, and follow the suggestions as revealed above.

Do you have a lawyer? If so, speak to the lawyer about your options before going to court. (ask about ACD or diversion) If you don't have a lawyer, ask the court if they will appoint you a public defender & discuss your options with the PD. The lawyer/PD will answer any questions you might have & get you the best outcome possible. You should talk about this only to your lawyer or PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back