Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft petty larceny 06/30/15

1God2Fear

Rather than getting a shopping cart, I placed the items I was going to buy in a bag in which an item I already purchased was in at that time, once I was heading to the other side of the store to buy a beverage the loss & prevention staff asked me to follow them to their room to discuss the matter, in which I explained to them my action for doing so, which was because I did not acquire a shopping cart. I was not expecting to buy multiple items at the time, so I did not think of getting a shopping cart. I have court on the 15th of July, I can't afford to do any jail time or have this on my record due to my career, what is the best plan of action? First time ever accused of a criminal charge as well

You need to speak with a lawyer & only to the lawyer. If you cannot afford one, ask the court if they will appoint you a public defender & plead not guilty. You can ask the lawyer about ACD or diversion which "usually" protect your record.

You need to speak with a lawyer & only to the lawyer. If you cannot afford one, ask the court if they will appoint you a public defender & plead not guilty. You can ask the lawyer about ACD or diversion which "usually" protect your record.[/QUO

When should I talk to a public defender? The day of court? Or before?

When you go to court, you ask for the public defender & plead not guilty.

You ask the judge. Jail time very doubtful for first offense.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. go to court plead not guilty and hire a lawyer or request Public defender. When you meet this Lawyer ask them if ACD or Diversion is available. Most Diversion programs work like a conviction with fines, probation community service etc. However once you complete program your case is dimissed. However these programs vary so ask your Lawyer about the program in your county

How long do these programs typically last? Hour wise?

People end up with 90 days to 180 days of probation, anywhere from 40-200 hours of community service (YMMV).
Fines, costs, and fees can start about $200 and upwards approaching $1,000. Each state varies.

That is what ACD or Diversion is usually about

By the way be acquitted means you went to trial and was found not guilty. That fight can get expensive and even more so if you lose

If you fight theft charge and lose you WILL have a theft conviction on your record and could face the max sentence for charge which "could" include jail time. In addition the legal fees to fight your case will greatly exceed any fine

Plead not guilty. You need to ask your lawyer or public defender all your questions.

Back