petit larceny shoplifting

Soccer08

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I am in desperate need of help last month i was in a store and for some dumb reason i thought it was easy to take a item (which was $50.00) as soon as i was walking out if the store i got stopped by the store security he filed a report then police came in i was arrested the officer was actually really nice i don't have any criminal records but one speeding ticket. I was out of jail within 30mins. I am very scared and don't know what will happen. The officer told me that on my court date all that will happen is i would have to pay a fee for the item, But i want to know if this is going to affect me in any way i am a current nursing student.

I am in desperate need of help last month i was in a store and for some dumb reason i thought it was easy to take a item (which was $50.00) as soon as i was walking out if the store i got stopped by the store security he filed a report then police came in i was arrested the officer was actually really nice i don't have any criminal records but one speeding ticket. I was out of jail within 30mins. I am very scared and don't know what will happen. The officer told me that on my court date all that will happen is i would have to pay a fee for the item, But i want to know if this is going to affect me in any way i am a current nursing student.

A criminal conviction COULD impact the ability for one to be licensed or certificated for any profession.

That said, you will appear, plead NOT guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

I doubt it, because the penalty won't threaten your freedom.

However, never go to court over a criminal matter without a lawyer.
You might need to hire one eventually, not for your first appearance.

Why do you need a lawyer?

Yo minimize the potential damage a criminal conviction can cause you.

The right lawyer can get you into diversion programs, or maybe get this negotiated to a disorderly person charge.

While you wait, talk to at least four lawyers in your county.
The initial visit is at no charge.
Its a great way to ask questions, learn about outcomes, and see if that lawyer could help you.

A criminal conviction COULD impact the ability for one to be licensed or certificated for any profession.

That said, you will appear, plead NOT guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

I doubt it, because the penalty won't threaten your freedom.

However, never go to court over a criminal matter without a lawyer.
You might need to hire one eventually, not for your first appearance.

Why do you need a lawyer?

Yo minimize the potential damage a criminal conviction can cause you.

The right lawyer can get you into diversion programs, or maybe get this negotiated to a disorderly person charge.

While you wait, talk to at least four lawyers in your county.
The initial visit is at no charge.
Its a great way to ask questions, learn about outcomes, and see if that lawyer could help you.
Thank you so much for the advice I do have a question do you think it will affect me in my nursing school? The officer told me that it shouldn't because it's no a felony but I just want to make sure

Thank you so much for the advice I do have a question do you think it will affect me in my nursing school? The officer told me that it shouldn't because it's no a felony but I just want to make sure

Only the state licensing board is able to make that decision.
Usually a one misdemeanor isn't a bar to licensing, but two, three, etc.. make it harder.
Just stop doing stupid stuff.
Go to school, get passing grades, don't break their laws, don't hang out with lawbreakers, don't use ILLEGAL drugs, don't abuse prescription drugs, life will be good.

Only the state licensing board is able to make that decision.
Usually a one misdemeanor isn't a bar to licensing, but two, three, etc.. make it harder.
Just stop doing stupid stuff.
Go to school, get passing grades, don't break their laws, don't hang out with lawbreakers, don't use ILLEGAL drugs, don't abuse prescription drugs, life will be good.
Thank you so much for your help . I know I made a huge mistake and I own up to it but I know I will stay away from all that you can only learn from mistakes I appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much for your help . I know I made a huge mistake and I own up to it but I know I will stay away from all that you can only learn from mistakes I appreciate your advice.

We do learn from our mistakes.

But, you knew stealing was wrong, so just stay smart and stop doing stupid stuff, its never worth the short term gain for the long term damage it can do to you.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You are best served by doing as instructs above consult several local Attorneys and ask. Be sure to ask about Diversion or ACD as option. these programs if you qualify and once completed usually result with NO CONVICTION on your record. this is your ultimate goal to protect your career

You need to know whether the offense is being handled as a misdemeanor or as an infraction. Petty theft, when the value is so low, is typically handled as an infraction (same as a traffic ticket) and does not result in a criminal conviction.

If it is being handled as an infraction the matter will be over with once you pay the fine.

You'll receive demand letters from the store wanting more money. Payment of that is optional. In many cases it is not practical to pay just because the store demands it. If you have already paid a fine to the court there will likely be no consequence for ignoring additional demands from the store and its collectors.

Whether it will effect nursing school or not will depend on the wording of any questions you are asked if a background investigation is done. You could be asked if you have ever committed a particular act rather than asked if you have ever been convicted. Talk with the school and know the type of questions you'll be asked and what information may be excluded.

You need to know whether the offense is being handled as a misdemeanor or as an infraction. Petty theft, when the value is so low, is typically handled as an infraction (same as a traffic ticket) and does not result in a criminal conviction.

If it is being handled as an infraction the matter will be over with once you pay the fine.

You'll receive demand letters from the store wanting more money. Payment of that is optional. In many cases it is not practical to pay just because the store demands it. If you have already paid a fine to the court there will likely be no consequence for ignoring additional demands from the store and its collectors.

Whether it will effect nursing school or not will depend on the wording of any questions you are asked if a background investigation is done. You could be asked if you have ever committed a particular act rather than asked if you have ever been convicted. Talk with the school and know the type of questions you'll be asked and what information may be excluded.
I believe that it is as a infraction because the officer told me that it was going to be kind of the same way as a traffic ticket, If that the case does it still show on my record?

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You are best served by doing as instructs above consult several local Attorneys and ask. Be sure to ask about Diversion or ACD as option. these programs if you qualify and once completed usually result with NO CONVICTION on your record. this is your ultimate goal to protect your career
Who can I ask about this ?

I believe that it is as a infraction because the officer told me that it was going to be kind of the same way as a traffic ticket, If that the case does it still show on my record?
If you pay the fine for an infraction there is no criminal record.
However for an employment background investigating you could be asked if you have EVER COMMITED a theft or other crime rather than asked if you have been CONVICTED. So even if there is no criminal record you might find that you are still obligated to disclose it.
Again, if you pay the fine for an infraction you can disregard any demand from the store for more. You will continue to get mail demanding you pay more but you do not legally owe it.

That is not a penal code. It is possible you were written up under a local ordinance which would be a number we won't recognize.
If you don't see anything clearly marked indicating infraction or misdemeanor you can call the court and ask which way it was filed.

10-201 dies appear to be an ordinance code. The language of the ordinance indicates it is a misdemeanor but that doesn't mean the court can't handle it as an infraction.
A call to the court should get the info you seek. If it is being prosecuted as a misdemeanor you should seek legal counsel. Good counsel can help to get it reduced.
If it is an infraction simply plead no contest and pay the fine.

Okay so I called the court house and they explained what will happen the day of court I'm going to have to take some classes and then it will no show on my record thank you so much for your helps

So it sounds like they processed it as a misdemeanor but are allowing you to go through the diversion program to keep it off your record. This option won't happen a second time.
Whether or not it is on your record you will still have to pay particular attention to the phrasing of the questions you might be asked in future employment documents.

Back