Pet Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown13

I am not sure what this falls under. We adopted a dog from a rescue where we signed a contract not to re sell or get rid of the dog. I posted an ad to sell the dog out of a scare tactic to my husband to help out more (dumb I know) now the rescue is trying to sue me and take the dog although I never obviously sold it. Is this ok for them to do?

This isn't coming from a legal perspective, but rather a common-sense perspective. If I were the rescue I would assume that if a person posted an ad trying to sell the animal, that they intended to sell it, whether or not it has actually been sold yet. I don't know how you would expect them to know that you really weren't trying to sell the dog, which you knowingly agreed not to do when you signed that contract.

As someone involved in a rescue I'm sure if you read your adoption contract it will state something like this: If you can no longer take care of the dog you should return it to the rescue". So yes the rescue is within their rights. You should contact them and explain yourself or give the dig back. On a personal note it's sad you use a pet as leverage in a divorce.

Hmmm nothing was said about a divorce actually??? But thanks for your concern. In no way is the dog in bad hands or being returned as it is our family dog. If you don't have any legal knowledge then please keep your rude comments to yourself. That is not what this website is intended for. I don't understand what is wrong with people these days that have no heart or care of others feelings, bunch of bullies.

I would expect them to know I had no intent to sell as that is what I told them... not sure how else to go about that. And it says to give the dog back if we can't take care of her. Well we can and we do so therefore I won't be giving the dog back and I didn't break contract because I didn't sell the dog. So as my non legal perspective I am within my rights. Thanks for the "help."

I would expect them to know I had no intent to sell as that is what I told them... not sure how else to go about that. And it says to give the dog back if we can't take care of her. Well we can and we do so therefore I won't be giving the dog back and I didn't break contract because I didn't sell the dog. So as my non legal perspective I am within my rights. Thanks for the "help."

Your opinion is noted, madam.
As an attorney and judge, with decades of education, knowledge, and experience over the years; if you're sued, your defense won't be very effective or persuasive.
If you wish to avoid further hassles or extended legal entanglements, it might serve you better to speak with the rescue agency and see if you can quiet and calm their fears.
You've offered a plausible explanation for the advertisement, most importantly your intent was never to sell the animal.
You wanted to send a message to your spouse.
The agency doesn't want to waste resources and time pursuing this, so a friendly, informative conversation should convince them of your true intent.

In fact, if I were in your position, I'd offer a donation as a sign of my continued good intentions.

If you are sued, that's the defense I'd use before the judge.

I wish you well.

Thank you. I do appreciate that information and especially in a manner that is not disrespectful or rude. I have already admitted that it was dumb on my part to even do that as a message to my husband and the rescue didn't even ask me about it. Their first contact with me was calling me disgusting and saying the local authorities are coming to my house. From there it was hard to calm them and even get them to listen. I explained it all and they still wish to pursue. With their intentions after the explanation as well as my responses showing them in picture and telling them how the dog is apart of our family being very well cared for, it is as though they are in it to get her back and re sell her themselves. A donation on my part won't be as much as the $450 they will get when the put her back up for adoption.....

"She needs to come back to ***** ***** if you cannot keep her. "

That was also in her response.... IF we can't keep her. Well we can so why is she still pursuing?? Sorry just had to put that in there too.

You may not like it, but you did break the adoption contract you signed with them. If you wanted to threaten your x you should have threatened to return the dog to the rescue. While it does not excuse their alleged verbal threats and profanity, you nevertheless used the dog as a pawn in an argument. I don't blame them for doubting you.

What is this divorce and x talk?? You must not fully understand things that you read, MY HUSBAND.... Therefore your opinion which has zero legality behind it is null and void. I would just quit now instead of looking even less knowledgeable than you already do.

Last edited:
Yes brown13 you are clearly in the right here. How silly of me to doubt your version of the world. I only wish I knew what rescue you adopted the poor pawn, I mean dog, from. I'D love to email them a link to this thread.

Its not about telling me that I am right, its the fact you are talking about things that I never said?? I don't really understand that I guess. I also am saying nothing wrong here for you to email them about? What is it that I am doing wrong other than TRYING to seek LEGAL advice? Trust me she is a very loved dog but your wrongful judgement is fully noted : )

Simple fact is you broke the contract you signed with the rescue. You can sugar coat it all you want. They are going to sue you for the dog, and as Army Judge noted, they will win.

So what legal background do you have? I take the army judges info into great mind. Yours on the other hand not so much....

Well that is good then that you also value Army Judges advice. As he said, your sorry excuse isn't going to fly in court. You probably skipped over that part though, as you clearly are here to only accept advice that supports YOUR self centered world. Good luck....to the rescue that will sue you and win.

I don't believe those were the words used. As mentioned twice starting with the very first post of mine. I said I was in the wrong and never had an excuse. You are clearly here with nothing better to do than put people down and try making them feel dumb and to bully. I wish you the best and hope you can find some positive in the world and hopefully better your life. God bless you.

Army Judge what happens if I didn't initial or sign the contract? Only my husband did.

Your spouse's signature constitutes a valid contract.
They could still bring a lawsuit.
But, I'm pretty sure they don't want to sue.
If its a real rescue operation, they genuinely care about the dog.
Rescue agencies are as passionate about their animals as adoption agencies are about the kids they place.
So, try letting hubby discuss it, setting the record straight, calming it down.
Most likely they just want to know you love and care for the dog.
As far as a donation, I was thinking of giving them a bag of kibble, case of dog food, or some supplies they can use to care for the animals.
A small love gift is always appreciated these days, too.

Even if I was the one who made the for sale ad and I didn't sign it? I have been trying to reason with them for two days now.... that what makes me think they are not taking the dogs interest to mind. I have sent numerous picture of love from my son to the dog as well as us. Pictures that have zero doubt of her being loved and cared for. My whole family are pet adopters and fosters. Would having references help at all? I could try the donations of food etc as well. Thanks again.

You can only try to reason with them. If they decide to sue, they can - your defense will be explaining the "misunderstanding" (that you didn't really mean what you said about the dog). Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back