Personnal Property Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvbnh2008

An RV park tenant left without paying space rent for last month. I sent her a notice for non-payment of rent.

She took off but leaving her RV at my RV park. She left a note on the RV saying that according to law, she could leave her RV at my park for 2 months (without paying rent) while trying to sell it. Is she right? If she's not, can I mail her a notice of "abandoned property" for her to move the RV; otherwise I would take possession of it? The RV is worth less than $500. Thanks.

An RV park tenant left without paying space rent for last month. I sent her a notice for non-payment of rent.

She took off but leaving her RV at my RV park. She left a note on the RV saying that according to law, she could leave her RV at my park for 2 months (without paying rent) while trying to sell it. Is she right? If she's not, can I mail her a notice of "abandoned property" for her to move the RV; otherwise I would take possession of it? The RV is worth less than $500. Thanks.

I wouldn't try to take possession of any abandoned property (or dispose of same) without knowing the law.

You also need to KNOW if her motor home/RV is a motor vehicle or an RV.
I suggest you ask the local police agency or sheriff's office.

You could also ask your DMV.

This might help you:

You may have an abandoned vehicle towed from your private property. ORS 98.830 outlines the steps you must take before having it towed:

You must affix a notice to the vehicle stating that it will be towed if it is not removed, which must remain on the vehicle for 72 hours before the vehicle may be removed.
You must fill out and sign a form that includes:
A description of the vehicle to be towed;
The location of the property from which the vehicle will be towed; and
A statement that you have complied with subsection 1 (described above) of this section.

Note: DMV does not provide a form for this purpose. The information needed (described in step 2 above) can be written on a separate piece of paper.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/abandoned.shtml

Oregon Law:

LOST, UNCLAIMED OR ABANDONED PROPERTY; TOWS

PROPERTY RIGHTS AND TRANSACTIONS

RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF FINDERS AND OWNERS

98.005 Rights and duties of finder of money or goods

98.015 Liability of noncomplying finder; forfeiture to county of unreclaimed money or goods

98.025 Rights of owner

FINDER'S REPORTS

98.050 Finder's reports; rules; fee

DISPOSAL OF CONSIGNED OR BAILED PROPERTY THAT IS UNCLAIMED

98.110 Record to be kept by consignee or bailee of property

98.120 Notice to owner of receipt of property by consignee or bailee

98.130 Right of custodian to sell property

98.140 Notice of sale

98.150 Affidavit by custodian when no response to notice

98.160 Inventory and order to sell

98.170 Sale

98.180 Delivery of proceeds to justice