Business Debt, Collections Personal Judgement for a Business Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipperlaw

Basic Details:
Default Judgement against me personally for $8,521 (original debt of $6,312 plus fees, etc.) in 2010
Wage Assignment against me personally for $11,576 (original judgement of $8,521 plus fees) on July 8, 2014 goes into effect this Tuesday for $385 per week.

About a month ago I got a phone call from a debt collection law firm. He said he was giving me a chance to respond before they filed a wage assignment action against me for a default judgement in 2010 that was from Capital One credit card bill from 2006. This was completely out of left field and I had no idea what he was talking about but I did remember having a business Capital One credit card that went unpaid when a corporation I owned went belly up. I had a few other accounts and I had a lawyer negotiate settlements for all those accounts back in about 2008 but Capital One wouldn't settle and, as I remember it, they just stopped contacting me.

I don't ever remember receiving a summons in 2010 but regardless, there is a default judgement against me. This never showed up on any credit reports or anything so this was the first I was hearing about it. Unfortunately, the guy got me rattled and somehow I said my employer's name. I told the guy he needed to send me documentation proving I owed anything and we ended the call.

Fast forward to Monday a week ago and my employer walks in an gives me a copy of a wage assignment order. I immediately go see a lawyer. The lawyer at first says he doesn't think there's much he can do but he agrees to at least go pull the case files as part of the initial consult fee. When he does, he says he thinks I have a case. The reason is because the only documentation for the original judgement from 2010 is a two page Affidavit. My name does not appear anywhere on the Affidavit. The Affidavit only mentions the corporation. However, the judgement is definitely against me personally, even though, according to him, they had no "jurisdiction" on me and provided no evidence of my personal indebtedness.

Now, I honestly don't remember if I signed personally or not. I don't remember signing personally. I DO remember signing personally for American Express (who we also had to settle with) because they make it very explicit. However, again, the ONLY documents provided in the original case in 2010 was this two page affidavit that ONLY mentions the corporation.

So after all that explanation. Here is my dilemma/question. My attorney said he has only had one other case in 33 years experience where he (successfully) fought a judgement, but he can't find that case file and doesn't remember the details. He _thinks_ we have a good case to file a motion to quash the wage assignment and a motion to set aside the judgement. However, that's going to cost me some money (which I don't mind spending) but if it fails, he doubts the law firm will be willing to settle (whereas they have already expressed a willingness to settle for approx. $6,800, the original debt). Plus he thinks they will get a few weeks wages in the meantime which will add up fast at $385. He's suggesting I may want to try to settle with them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 before they get that first check (next Tuesday).

Now, although I make a good salary, we are still about a year away from paying off all that mess from way back in 2008. We do not have any sizable lumps of cash sitting around where we can just shrug, pay these guys $5,000 - $6,000 and go on with life. We also can't afford to have approx. $1,600/month of our salary go to pay off these guys.

Do I roll the dice and have him file the motions to dismiss and hope for the best, or do I try to gather up the $5,000 or so to make a settlement offer?

We are 99% sure that it has been 6 years since I last paid on this debt so if the motions succeed, he thinks they won't be able to collect anything because of SOL.

Can someone give me any more confidence that the motions to dismiss will succeed or point me to research relating to this issue?

One word, BANKRUPTCY and it all gets held in abeyance until you can make a better decision or plot a strategy.
See a bankruptcy lawyer and file BK.
You will buy yourself some time to make a long-term decision, and the court will stay the execution of the wage attachment.
See a BK attorney and discover your options.
Good luck.

The problem with that is, we were in the process of paying of all our debt so we could refinance in a few months (because we really need to). A BK would kill any chances of that plus, I don't think I have any grounds. Right now we have a household income of about $120,000 and after expense we have about $1,300 left each month that we were throwing at our remaining $19,000 credit card debt (nothing else except house note, no car notes, nothing else). I don't think it really makes sense to file BK over a debt we could put on a credit card if we had to and call it a day, not that I WANT to.

Or are you suggesting just going through the BK motions to get more options and not following through? Wouldn't that KILL my credit?

According to my research, I don't qualify for Chapter 7. I guess I could file Chapter 13 just to stay the wage assignment but that would drag ALL my creditors into it and, as of right this moment, we are current on everything and have been since 2008. I just don't see how filing Chapter 13 could be the best option here but maybe I just don't know.

It can't hurt to discuss it with a BK attorney. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do anything.
As far as credit goes, what do you think a wage attachment will do, improve your credit?
Credit and refinancing any debt are suckers bets anyway.
Credit is a wealth killer, unless you're the creditor.
That judgement won't improve your credit either.
You're between a rock and a hard place. BK might benefit you. BK worked for GM, United Airlines, Chrysler, the former Continental Airlines, and a host of other fortune 1000 companies, BILLIONAIRES AND MILLIONAIRES, sports & Hollywood celebrities, municipalities, counties, and soon states and the US Government.

It amazes me at what works for them, Adam and Amanda America scoff, reject, rebuke, shy away from, and poo poo.

The BK filing can be withdrawn prior to the hearing.
During that time ALL judgments are stayed by the BK Court Injunction.
That buys time for your attorney to further research the motion to quash.
Frankly, I suspect you're being swindled.
There are many bottom feeders out there scamming good citizens.
The other issue to research is when, where, and how you were served.
Google the name of the alleged attorney you spoke to the other day.
See what others have to say about the scoundrel.
I'd also research the entire alleged proceeding.
You have additional remedies if the skunk has "doctored" the pleadings and the "created" a faulty judgment, BIG PAYDAY TYPE remedies!!!!

Last edited:
The TN SOL is but 6 years.

Cap One says VA law applies, unless your state law allows a longer term.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6490297_tennessee-statute-limitations-collect-debt.html

http://www.nationallist.com/image/cache/tennessee_white_paper.pdf

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-statute-limitations-1282.php

If the wage attachment stands, a portion of your income is exempt.
In keeping with the federal wage exemptions standards, Tennessee Law exempts 75 percent of disposable earnings per week, or the amount by which the garnishee's disposable earnings for that week exceed thirty (30) times the federal minimum hourly wage at the time the earnings for any pay period become due and payable. "Disposable earnings" are part of the earnings of an individual remaining after the deduction from those earnings of any amounts required by law to be withheld. Tenn.Code Ann. § 26-2-106.

There are also small exemptions for children.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back