Perhaps the Login Issue Solved - Experiment Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
After going over the issue with several other experienced developers, I am experimenting with cookies here. No - not the type you eat but the type that your browser uses. :) I'm hoping that whatever login issues we've had are a thing of the past and that now there will be no problems going forward. If you do experience issues and anomalies, just let me know. I'm relieved that, if it works, I can turn to something more productive than this effort scouring has proven. If it's working, then no news is good news! :)

Noted - thank you for the information.

Would be a great relief if this solves the problem. I was guessing it might be a cookie issue. Despite everything being set up properly, I've made a change that will do something to set the cookie to resolve across the entire domain as other sites have it set. We'll see. So far so good.

After I log in I still have to click a link before it will show me as logged in. I've learned to work with it so it isn't a big deal.

Just thought of it though.... since you did a cookie tweak maybe I need to delete my cookies and try again. Will do that next time around.

I'm still having log in problems. Perhaps you can use my account as a test case Professor. I tried clearing cookies.

Last edited:
I can login in okay, never had that login problem.

But, I was trying to merge two posts today for a poster, and I couldn't do it.

It kept asking me for my password.

I ended up just editing both posts.

I think this issue is related to what you may have altered.

I haven't been having any log in problems. (knock on wood)

Impotency comes with age AJ. ROFLMAO Merry Christmas.

I can login in okay, never had that login problem.

But, I was trying to merge two posts today for a poster, and I couldn't do it.

It kept asking me for my password.

I ended up just editing both posts.

I think this issue is related to what you may have altered.

After I logged in I still saw the login button/link but a simple refresh showed me logged in.

Now I'm having trouble editing a thread I posted. At first I saw the edit, reply and reply with quote buttons but now I don't see the edit link just reply/with quote links.
I've also tried to edit my options and I receive the message that I don't have appropriate permissions.

:Edit:
I also have the issue in the Thread Tools drop down showing the Subscribe option even though I'm already subscribed. Strange.

Thanks

Last edited:
After you log in, click on "legal advice". Select a forum with a new post you wish to comment on. Once you have selected and replied in that thread, you will stay logged in.

After I logged in I still saw the login button/link but a simple refresh showed me logged in.

Now I'm having trouble editing a thread I posted. At first I saw the edit, reply and reply with quote buttons but now I don't see the edit link just reply/with quote links.
I've also tried to edit my options and I receive the message that I don't have appropriate permissions.
Thanks

After you log in, click on "legal advice". Select a forum with a new post you wish to comment on. Once you have selected and replied in that thread, you will stay logged in.

No trouble logging in. I see my user name in the top brown bar after a browser refresh. No issues replying.
I have trouble editing my first post in one of the threads I created and don't have permissions to edit my options.

Thanks

If there is an issue, try to clear the cookie for the forum once. You'll get a new cookie that is sitewide instead of just in the forum. The cookie should keep you logged in for a good while.

sqwerl - regarding editing here, it is limited to just a few minutes after posting. The issue - spammers drop posts that look legit and then come back later to edit their posts and dump links. Unfortunately a necessary evil and, with posters who have proven to be reliable, the system automatically provides a longer editing time. You'd be surprised as to how perseverance these spammers have.

If there is an issue, try to clear the cookie for the forum once. You'll get a new cookie that is sitewide instead of just in the forum. The cookie should keep you logged in for a good while.

sqwerl - regarding editing here, it is limited to just a few minutes after posting. The issue - spammers drop posts that look legit and then come back later to edit their posts and dump links. Unfortunately a necessary evil and, with posters who have proven to be reliable, the system automatically provides a longer editing time. You'd be surprised as to how perseverance these spammers have.

I suspected they may be locked out after a few new posts.
Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back