Pennsylvania Telemarketer Registration Act

Rob Dudley

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am not sure if I am in the right sub forum, but I am very familiar with TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act), but in PA there is the PA Telemarketer Registration Act and I understand as a private citizen I have the ability to file in civil court when a telemarketer violates the do not call list, I understand it is up to $1000 per violation, is that correct?

Pennsylvania Telemarketer Registration Act:

I understand as a private citizen I have the ability to file in civil court when a telemarketer violates the do not call list, I understand it is up to $1000 per violation, is that correct?

A violation of the law carries a civil penalty of up to $1,000 or $3,000 if the person contacted is age 60 or older.

A victim files with the state agency (actually the private contractor to the state who manages the list), and the state files the complaint and receives the penalty (as in fine).

As usual, the citizen receives NOTHING in the way of money!

Gubmint has to FEED and SATIATE it's endless greed!

If you feel you have been contacted unlawfully AFTER registering for the list, you can file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection online or by calling: 1-800-441-2555.

Here is a link to the law, and the FAQS provided by your state:

Do Not Call List

Get on the list:

Do Not Call Verification

I understand as a private citizen I have the ability to file in civil court when a telemarketer violates the do not call list, I understand it is up to $1000 per violation, is that correct?

Where and how did you come by this understanding?

It appears that the law in question is codified in Ch. 40 of Title 73 of the Pennsylvania Statutes. Section 2247 is titled "Remedies available to consumers," but it says nothing about suing for "up to $1000 per violation." Nor is there anything like that in the text of the Act itself.

I couldn't find anything in the text of the Act to support that, but note that the link you provided refers to "a civil penalty of up to $1,000 or $3,000 if the person contacted is age 60 or older." That's not necessarily the same thing as a consumer suing for "up to $1000 per violation." I suggest you dig around in the text of the law. I did not read every section with a fine-tooth comb, so I could have missed something.

I don't know how much I'd trust that page. Mainly because it mentions the Ohio AG taking action and it is a PA law they are talking about.

I couldn't find anything in the text of the Act to support that, but note that the link you provided refers to "a civil penalty of up to $1,000 or $3,000 if the person contacted is age 60 or older." That's not necessarily the same thing as a consumer suing for "up to $1000 per violation." I suggest you dig around in the text of the law. I did not read every section with a fine-tooth comb, so I could have missed something.

The site write under the section you mention said this.

"The Attorney General, a county prosecutor, or individual consumer may bring a lawsuit."

Of course, below that it said, "Allows the Ohio Attorney General to enforce federal and state telemarketing laws."

Back