Penalty for breaking Early Decision binding for pharmacy school admission

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemacc

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello, everyone!

I applied to a pharmacy school this year using early decision option and got accepted. However, I have since had a change of heart about pharmacy career and also due to my family's financial situation, I do not want to go to pharmacy school anymore. I sent a letter to the school explained my situation. However, the school is now saying that due to the legal binding of the early decision application, I must attend the school, or the penalty of not going will be the entire 4 years of tuition (at the beginning, they said it would be the first year's tuition, but now they are saying it would be 4 years of tuition).

I have tried to look for anything about early decision penalty on PHARMCAS (an application system used by most pharmacy schools - all students have to complete theirs there and Pharmcas will send the application to designated school chosen by the students). This is pretty much what it says about the early decision option: "The Early Decision program is a binding option for applicants who have decided that a particular pharmacy degree program is their first choice and that they will enroll if accepted. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS degree programs." However, there is nowhere on their website saying there would be a penalty and how the penalty would be determined if an applicant decided not to go after getting accepted.

My question is whether or not the school can pursuit a legal action after me and if they have the right to determine whatever penalty they would like for breaking the early decision binding. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You should consult a couple of local attorneys.
Online websites aren't equipped to do the research necessary to provide you a proper answer.

It seems there is a requirement that you enroll if accepted. You certainly can talk to a lawyer or two re the consequences allowed if you don't enroll. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back