Payment of owed tuition after withdrawal from private school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas472

Hello,

We enrolled my daughter for second grade in a private school in Dallas. After a couple months we started having issues with the teacher and discussed with the teacher and the administration. We felt that my daughter's needs weren't being met in the classroom. Some of our complaints were corroborated by other parents who had observed the class and even a staff member of the school. As an example, my daughter would finish in-class work early and complained to us that she had nothing to do while she waited for other students to finish. The teacher and principal denied this, but other parents who helped out in the class from time to time confirmed it, as did another staff member. We also felt like the teacher was inexperienced and didn't have control over the class, which was causing problems for our child. The teacher did not follow through on plans she suggested to help keep our daughter focused. We also feel the administration was not responsive to addressing problems such as these. It was affecting our daughter and it became clear that it was not a good environment for her. We withdrew her at the end of the first semester.

Our tuition contract does state that parents are responsible for full tuition regardless of early withdrawal. We had already paid $7,500 of the $10,000 tuition. The school is requesting the $2,500 balance. We feel that our child was not receiving the quality of education promised and requested forbearance of the balance, citing numerous examples. The school declined our request and wants the full balance. There was not a waiting list for the class, which was not full.

Do we have any legal recourse to withhold the final tuition payment?

Thanks

You voluntarily withdrew your child knowing the repercussions.

In other words, you have to pay.

You had a contract that you pay full amt. even on early withdrawal. Therefore, you have no recourse - you owe the full amount. Sorry.

Do we have any legal recourse to withhold the final tuition payment?

Based on your own description of the terms of the contract, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back