Paying collection firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdouglas27

I was paying a law firm in Missouri a monthly payment on a debt that was taken to court. Last August Received a job transfer, sent my September payment in and they returned it with a letter stating the account was canceled/closed. Found out today, by my HR at corporate, that the firm has filled for wage garnishment in Missouri. I live in Louisiana and the returned check/closed account letter was sent to my new address.

Doing research I read that if they closed the account what they are doing is illegal. If they want to collect further they must come to Louisiana and fill here. Is this try and any further info would be great.

Why is it that no one can answer this question. The firm closed the account, how can they come back and try to collect on it?

If they are filing for garnishment then they must already have a judgement on you-- Right --- IF they do the you have already lost your day in court. so, you need to contact the courts in which the judgement was filed and tell them about the account being closed--- however if the only papers you have a a check that they wrote closed on, then you may be SOL -- unless you have some other papers that state the account with the account # etc is closed you may be SOL

So, I get a letter from the collection firm (Kramer & Frank) that states the account has been closed. That gives them the right to file for wage garnishment four months after closing the account. So a closed account no longer means the account is closed. I was doing what the court agreement stated, K&F breaks the agreement and I am the one who gets screwed. Is is not time for some series court (law) reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back