Pay based on reviews by minors

Kbald77

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I work for a company doing independent teaching of students in classrooms and tutoring individually. Students are able evaluate us after courses are complete. This usually goes ok but often get a student who was lazy and hated me because I pushed them when they didn't want to.

The point is, positive and negative reviews both, are being used as a basis in whether we get pay raises at the end of each year. They will look at the average scores and if they are not high enough you will be reprimanded and not get a pay increase. All of these students are underage. Is it legal for them to be basing, at least in part, potential pay raises and work hours on the survey of students under the age of 17?

Unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that speaks to when you are supposed to get a raise, they can use any criteria they want for determining raises except for your race, religion, national origin etc. So yes, it is legal for them to base the potential pay raises on the survey of students of any age. It may or may not be a smart thing to do, but it is legal.

Totally legal and not uncommon. Your clients do not have to be over a certain age in order for their opinions to be valid.

Back