PATRIOT Act/apartment rntl background checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlogan987

My husband moved in with me into my co-op last year after we were married. The Co-op By Laws, in effect at the time, stated that anyone who moves in with me while I still reside in the apartment simply needs to appear before the board.

We notified the Board and even provided them with a copy of our marriage license and asked when they wanted to meet with him. They stated he must complete a full application which entails a background and credit check as well as $250 in processing fees. According to the By Laws, the new application process is only required for individuals subletting the apartment from me while I live elsewhere.

So I objected to this as this was not consistent with the By Laws. They stated that they had a new policy—though it wasn't in writing yet. Then they began citing the Patriot Act.

The Board now asserts that my husband is living in my apartment illegally—even though we have complied with the board's By Laws in effect at the time he moved in.

Who is right here? Does the Patriot Act give private corporations the right to do whatever they want concerning this?

Then they began citing the Patriot Act.
They could have cited the Little Green Men act, and it would have the same legal authority.

You are subject to the contractual obligations you agreed to, and if the board wishes to take action they will have to take you to civil court or follow up with whatever recourse is available to them via the contract.

Who is right here? Does the Patriot Act give private corporations the right to do whatever they want concerning this?
Of course it doesn't.

The Patriot Act has been credited with many things it does not do ... this is one of them.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back