Medical Malpractice Patient's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellencho11

Is there some type of law, regulation, statue, anything, that would require that a physician inform a patient when they are doing something that would cause them additional billing than would normally be expected. For instance, if I am there for a routine visit, and they order tests that may seem like part of the check-up, but they dont intend to include that way when they bill you, and they dont inform you that they are not part of that routine visit...is there something to protect a patient from having to pay for unnecessary tests the doctor orders for no apparent reason?

Also, the doctor's lawyer has requested that I submit within 7 days, a certification of expert witness opinion according to Va Code 8.01-20.1. I dont see how this applies to my situation. The case doesnt involve medical procedures that would have to be explained, it involves the doctor ordering tests outside of her normal rountine (yearly check-up) visit, without letting me know that she was doing so. I didnt request the tests, and they seemed to have no relevance on my exam...I just assumed they were part of what she normally did for yearly check-ups.

You must respond to each pleading you get.

If you can't do it, then hire a lawyer.

OK, but I am not sure how to do that. What I mean is, does it have to be written in a certain manner, or documented in some way, or can I just send her lawyer a letter? I don't need an expert witness in this case, because it is not about a medical procedure that would have to be explained .
The whole claim is only $200....I am surprised she didnt want to setlle when I called her on the phone...I'm sure the lawyer is costing her a bundle, and I am sure that it would cost me well over the $200 I am trying to get back from her. That is why I have been so dependent on the knowlege and generosity of the people that volunteer on this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back