Past employer coming after me for another's theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

marymaker

Background: I worked two years for a company that I consider was a hostile work environment (I would have solid proof to back that statement- illegal discrimination). As a female manager, I felt disrespected and was thrown into situations where people were stabbing me in the back. It was the first time I was a manager, so my experience in management was limited.

Situation: Long story short, but one of my employees of whom I "technically" was not managing at the time, resigned because he refused to adhere to their new dress code rule of "no jeans". The manager who pulled him into his office and told him this new rule, did not handle the situation well. He came off as "bitchy" and snotty. This employee refused to abide at first. The employee was told not to return to work unless he complied. This employee resigned from the company 2 days later, giving his resignation not to his manager, but to the president. He left immediately.

Result: This employee stole the department laptop. I often told him to bring it in (he took it home on weekends) and sometimes he would comply, sometimes not. Because the heat started coming on me for other various reasons, I forgot about this situation because I was too buried trying to save my own job and not get my back stabbed.

That was 3 months ago. Two months ago, I resigned and took another job at another company. Last week I received a letter from the President stating he felt this employee stole the laptop (by speaking to other employees) and that he was holding me responsible. They are frustrated because they cannot find this ex employee. He left no forwarding address.
The letter stated that they would hold me responsible if they could not find him.

I know what city this guy is in, and I do have an old address. However, I feel this isn't my problem. And they have no right to accuse me of anything, other than maybe not being aware enough. In addition, I was not his manager at the time. There was no company policy in place for exit strategy or a checklist of some sort.

Question: What exactly can this employer "do" to me? They can't accuse me of theft because they have no proof. I just have a feeling they want to get as much information out of me as possible. I have no intention of replying, because all I know is what I have stated here. Can someone please comment on this? Shall I have a lawyer reply to his letter? It will only make him angrier, I am sure.

Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back