1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

past due rent Rent, Utilities

Discussion in 'Living in, Use of the Premises' started by lenisg, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenisg

lenisg Law Topic Starter New Member

I gave my landlord my 30 day move out notice on 9/5/11 and had not heard from him until 9/30 when he dropped of a envelope with copies of checks and cash that I had given him for rent since 8/2010. He claims that I owe him $2000 and he wanted me to pay him that amount before I moved or I would be in jeopardy of losing my section 8 voucher. I am disputing one month of rent that he claims that I did not pay him, after reviewing my bank statement I remembered that I paid him cash for that month and that he did not give me a rent receipt which has happened in the past except in the past he has made copies of the cash I gave him but still never gave me a reciept. He also tried to tell me that by law he could not keep my deposit and use it towards the unpaid rent. I don't know what to do and need help because I don't have that type of money to give him please help.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you can't PROVE you paid, you'll likely be ordered to pay IF he sues you.

The penalty that the Section 8 gang metes out to you is up to them.

I suggest you speak with them about your landlord's allegations.

They might be able to offer you some assistance.

Otherwise, without a receipt or cancelled check to PROVE you paid, you have a very big problem.

3. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Unpaid rent is grounds to terminate your section 8 voucher. I agree with last post talk to your worker

4. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Lesson learned the hard way. ALWAYS get a receipt when you pay cash for anything. Without it there is no proof of where the money went.