Passports and Death certificates.

• Thread Starter antonioromano33
  • Start date
A

antonioromano33

Jurisdiction
Saskatchewan
Hello everyone, My name is Antonio and I am only 15 years old. My dream is to travel, yet I dont have a valid passport, and I have already missed out on a few trips because of this. My father passed away a few years ago leaving his spiteful sons (not me) as the only people in the will, and as the executors. He died in Saskatchewan and I am in the US (Massachusetts). By law I either need both parents signature, or proof of death (ie official death certificate, not a copy) and I am unable to do this. We have contact with his widowed wife who, since she was not an executor is unable to get an official copy. The people in charge of everything are my spiteful brothers who wouldn't give a dime to save my life. They have already emptied out the savings account my father made for me at birth. We have no way of contacting them or getting their signature or help getting an official death certificate. Is there anything I can do to get a passport or official death certificate, we are desperate. Please help.
Antonio

By law I either need both parents signature, or proof of death (ie official death certificate, not a copy) and I am unable to do this.

You've answered your own question, son.
You must wait until you become an adult at age 18 to receive a passport.
Even at age 18, you'll need to provide the appropriate legal documentation to obtain same.

A death certificate isn't impossible to obtain.
But, you must follow the law.
Fact of life, son, no one must accede to any request, or even respond to your entreaty to cooperate.

Therefore, you do as many have done, wait until you become an adult.
As an adult, you do for yourself, or you do without.

The law in SK says:
In most cases, an extract from or copy of the registration of death will suffice as the legal document needed to meet the requirements of most legal needs. Application to receive the Death Certificate of a person is restricted to the following eligible persons:
• Their spouse, if legally married or common-law at the time of death
• A parent who appears on the original registration of birth as mother, father or other parent
• An adult child of the deceased (18 years of age and older)
• A person authorized by an eligible person (above) in writing. View the written Authorization
guidelines
• The legal custodian or personal/property guardian of the person. A copy of the Court Order, Custody
Agreement or other legal documents must be provided with their application
• The personal representative of the estate of an eligible person. A copy of the subject individual's Will
or Letters' Probate or Letters' of Administration or Court Order appointing the Applicant as the
personal representative must be included with the Application as a supporting document
• A person that needs to prove Métis or Treaty status. The request must either include a letter from the
Métis Nation-Saskatchewan (MN-S)or Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada(AANDC) supporting the request or else the application must be from MN-S/AANDC with a consent letter from the person seeking to prove parentage
• In response to a Saskatchewan court order or subpoena. A copy of the court document must accompany the application
• A person that needs it to prove a joint tenant has died for land titles purposes. The land title stating "joint tenant" or a quick search results having both names on it will serve as a supporting document
• The Public Guardian and Trustee of Saskatchewan, Canada or any other country. The request requires a letter stating the reason for the request with enough information about the person to identify them. This should be on agency letterhead and signed by a person with the authority to make the request

Read this:
Order a Death Certificate
http://www.ehealthsask.ca/vitalstats/Documents/Who Can Apply for a Death Certificate.pdf

Good luck.

You've answered your own question, son.
You must wait until you become an adult at age 18 to receive a passport.
Even at age 18, you'll need to provide the appropriate legal documentation to obtain same.

A death certificate isn't impossible to obtain.
But, you must follow the law.
Fact of life, son, no one must accede to any request, or even respond to your entreaty to cooperate.

Therefore, you do as many have done, wait until you become an adult.
As an adult, you do for yourself, or you do without.

The law in SK says:
In most cases, an extract from or copy of the registration of death will suffice as the legal document needed to meet the requirements of most legal needs. Application to receive the Death Certificate of a person is restricted to the following eligible persons:
• Their spouse, if legally married or common-law at the time of death
• A parent who appears on the original registration of birth as mother, father or other parent
• An adult child of the deceased (18 years of age and older)
• A person authorized by an eligible person (above) in writing. View the written Authorization
guidelines
• The legal custodian or personal/property guardian of the person. A copy of the Court Order, Custody
Agreement or other legal documents must be provided with their application
• The personal representative of the estate of an eligible person. A copy of the subject individual's Will
or Letters' Probate or Letters' of Administration or Court Order appointing the Applicant as the
personal representative must be included with the Application as a supporting document
• A person that needs to prove Métis or Treaty status. The request must either include a letter from the
Métis Nation-Saskatchewan (MN-S)or Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada(AANDC) supporting the request or else the application must be from MN-S/AANDC with a consent letter from the person seeking to prove parentage
• In response to a Saskatchewan court order or subpoena. A copy of the court document must accompany the application
• A person that needs it to prove a joint tenant has died for land titles purposes. The land title stating "joint tenant" or a quick search results having both names on it will serve as a supporting document
• The Public Guardian and Trustee of Saskatchewan, Canada or any other country. The request requires a letter stating the reason for the request with enough information about the person to identify them. This should be on agency letterhead and signed by a person with the authority to make the request

Read this:
http://www.ehealthsask.ca/vitalstats/Documents/Who Can Apply for a Death Certificate.pdf

Good luck.
But my Stepmother applied for the Death certificate as a spouse and was told she needed supporting documents. Any clues on that?

But my Stepmother applied for the Death certificate as a spouse and was told she needed supporting documents. Any clues on that?

I have no idea.

I have a couple guesses.

Perhaps she needed to produce a marriage certificate, and was unable to do so.
Maybe she was never legally married to the deceased.

All guesses, as I know nothing of her situation.

She might wish to ask the provincial agency for an explanation.

You, on the their hand, are a minor.
As a minor, the law doesn't recognize you.
You will be recognized upon majority.

Your stepmother may not have the authority to obtain the death certificate upon your behalf.

Why not call the provincial agency and ask them all of your questions?

Back