Partner failed background check for a firearm

N

nusrak

Jurisdiction
Florida
My partner stole some things from his job in 1988 and was arrested. He got 3 years of probation and had to do community service. He's been able to vote, etc. Recently, he tried to buy a firearm and failed the background check. His public record shows ADJUDICATED GUILTY as the disposition. However, in one of the dockets, it states ORDER W/H ADJ OF GUILTY/PLACE DEF ON PROBATION. So, it looks as if it was withheld adjudication - yet he still did not pass. We're not sure what to do. This was over 25 years ago and he's had no other trouble other than one traffic ticket.

My partner stole some things from his job in 1988 and was arrested. He got 3 years of probation and had to do community service. He's been able to vote, etc. Recently, he tried to buy a firearm and failed the background check. His public record shows ADJUDICATED GUILTY as the disposition. However, in one of the dockets, it states ORDER W/H ADJ OF GUILTY/PLACE DEF ON PROBATION. So, it looks as if it was withheld adjudication - yet he still did not pass. We're not sure what to do. This was over 25 years ago and he's had no other trouble other than one traffic ticket.

It seems he was adjudicated GUILTY of a felony way back when.
Many states, I believe well over 30 states allow people convicted of felonies to vote after they've fully completed their sentence.

Just two states allow prisoners incarcerated for felonies to vote.

Federal firearms laws DISALLOW all felons the right to procure firearms.

However, much like recent marijuana laws legalized marijuana use in some states, some states allow felons to seek expunctions/expungements of their felony conviction and permit them to purchase firearms.
In essence, it's a patchwork quilt regarding firearms purchases for felons.

Read what the Your FDLE has to say about this kerfuffle:

Florida Department of Law Enforcement - Frequently Asked Questions

Back