Parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephlaw

I didn't know where to post so please let me know where the best place to post would be?

My neighbor has about 10 cars. He parks on his driveway, infront of his house, infront of my house, and infront of other neighbor's house.

Is there some law, civil code, or penal code, that states he can only have so many cars or that states he has to enable neighbors to park there cars in front of their homes? If so, I'd really like for cops to give him a ticket or something.

I live in a residential area in CA. His tires have been slashed before...i believe because he is pretty much occupying the entire neighorhoods street parking.

Joseph

parking

Do you think your neighbor could be running a business with these cars. as in repair or detailing or sales? If so, he should not be allowed to do business in a residential zone and could be fined and ordered to cease and desist. In my area we have a great solution for too many cars. I live near a university where many students used to block the street for days. Our street now has residential permit parking only. We had a study done by Traffic and Engineering and took the results to the City Council. Our councilman was very helpful with this. Homes are issued 2 permanent and two visitor permits only. Violators are towed. It is a wonderful solution if it is available in your area. You might try getting other neighbors to document things like: license plates, vehicle description, take pictures. Keep a log for a month or so, and then take it to your county prosecutor or police department, or whoever handles these kinds of complaints in your city (if you feel a zoning law is being broken, or some other illegal activity). Good luck! Barb

No, there is no law telling people how many cars they are allowed to own.

What you should look for is this: -Do all the cars have current registration and tags? There very often are local ordinances against parking cars on public streets which do not have either.

Otherwise, usually all restrictions about parking need to be posted. So if there are no "no parking" signs, basically everyone can park as many cars as he can fit on public streets.

Sometimes there are some restrictions on the kinds of cars, like commercial cars, RVs, etc which don't need to be posted. Your local police would be able to tell you about it.

One good hint was the posting above: Why does he park so many cars in the neighborhood? If it can be considered "business", then he might violate zoning or license laws.

We had this problem in our neighborhoiod: a Restaurant used a valet parking, and since their lot was much too small, the valets just parked the cars all over the neighborhood.

Thank you for your repsonse.

No he doesn't run any business. His house has a guest house in the back. He stays there. He just has about 4 cars that he owns. He rents out his front 3bdrm house. They have about 3 or 4 cars also.

I'll have to check the municipal code for my city?

Joseph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back