Parking tickets from another state

martygrasser

Jurisdiction
New York
Many years ago when I was in Los Angeles I rented a car and parked at a meter that was clearly broken. It was probably like 2006 or so when I was issued a citation. I don't remember if I fought it or left the city. What happens with those tickets?

I have a second question which this reminded me about. I remember getting a parking ticket at a poorly labeled sign in Manhattan shortly after that. It was a bad 2 months! I remember fighting by mail but had moved addresses before I don't remember if and how that was resolved. Any thoughts? If there is something outstanding, how do you know? If so, how can you recommend dealing with it?

I doubt if anything will come of the LA ticket unless maybe you go back to LA and get pulled over with an outstanding warrant.

Your chances are better in NY of getting pulled over and having to deal with it.

If you are concerned, hire a background check company to do a search to see if anything is outstanding.

I remember fighting by mail but had moved addresses before I don't remember if and how that was resolved. Any thoughts?

Unresolved parking citations received in the state where you hold a valid drivers license often affect one's ability to renew a drivers license.

If you've renewed your drivers license subsequent to the receipt of the parking citation, I suspect you may have avoided further penalties, especially in a municipality plagued by serious crime.

Many years ago when I was in Los Angeles I rented a car and parked at a meter that was clearly broken. It was probably like 2006 or so when I was issued a citation. I don't remember if I fought it or left the city. What happens with those tickets?

Parking citations received while driving a rental vehicle are normally paid for by the rental company.The rental company will contact the renter and attempt to collect the charges and their processing fees.

If your citation was received in 2006 and nothing further has come of it, you may have dodged another bullet.

The company may have already paid the citation and charged their costs to yoru credit card used for the rental.

Your guess would be far more informed than mine, OP.

The ticket was issued to the rental agency who likely paid it and then charged your credit card.

I agree with Zig. What usually happens is the rental outfit pays the ticket and bills your card (you agreed to this in the rental agreement) without any option for you to protest the unfairness of the matter.

By the way,. nothing the OP incriminated himself further. If he knew the meter was obviously broken, he committed the offense. It is illegal to park in LA (and many other places) at an inoperative meter.

Back