Parking lot accident

Marybell

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Can't figure out what to do
I was driving in the isle of an parking lot with angled spaces when all of a sudden I collided with a vehicle that was driving accross parking spaces. The view for both of us was obscured by parked vehicles. We both have vehicles that are neither new nor fancy (2011 for both). I drove a van that received ugly cosmetic damage at the front bumper but no dents (my mechanic said there doesn't seem to be any internal damage), they got deformed door on the side.
The other driver is 17yo girl. She didn't have her DL with her or insurance or even a phone. Soon her relatives arrived - her father, who is the car owner, and her uncle, who works nearby. Her dad brought her DL and the insurance. We exchanged all the info but didn't call the police. My understanding is that police doesn't come for parking lot accidents. Girl's uncle told me - "Call back and tell us how much it would be to fix it". Everyone assumed it was her fauit.
I have Progressive and they have Geico. I have no full coverage - only liability. My Collision coverage= 0 . I have no idea what coverage they have.
My van is drivable and has lots of other cosmetic imperfections.
I can't decide what the best course of actions would be. The girl isn't a complete stranger, I have met her before at my child's school.
My mechanic who doesn't fix this kind of damage told me it would be about 2K to get a new bumper and paint it. I doubt her family would pay me this amount without involving insurances
However, if I call insurance who knows what they decide about whose fault it was (can decide 50/50) , then I will probably have premium increase and it will go into vehicle accident record.

You mean you Car 1 and she Car 2, coming across at right angles to you? If yes, she's 100% at fault and you should definitely file a claim with her insurance. Get an estimate first.

If no, draw a diagram and upload it.

upload_2024-1-22_22-53-0.png

The lack of insurance on DL on her person is a non-issue.
It's up to you to decide if you want to go through their insurance or trust them to pay up.

The lack of insurance on DL on her person is a non-issue.
It's up to you to decide if you want to go through their insurance or trust them to pay up.
Don't trust them. If you do you may/probably will end up in small claims court or on Judy Justice. ;)

Report the accident to both your insurance and theirs. File the claim with their insurance.

Don't trust them. If you do you may/probably will end up in small claims court or on Judy Justice. ;)

Report the accident to both your insurance and theirs. File the claim with their insurance.
I agree with this, but then again...
years ago a guy backed into me as we were both waiting to exit a parking lot. He could have easily (and successfully) claimed that I rear-ended him, but he and I agreed in the parking lot that he'd pay for the damage to my car via monthly payments...and he did. Such an agreement is definitely rolling the dice, but I'm sure it does work out in some cases. What we see on the court shows are only the unsuccessful agreements ;)

Soon her relatives arrived - her father, who is the car owner, and her uncle, who works nearby. Her dad brought her DL and the insurance. We exchanged all the info but didn't call the police. My understanding is that police doesn't come for parking lot accidents. Girl's uncle told me - "Call back and tell us how much it would be to fix it". Everyone assumed it was her fauit

From my personal experiences, I would get a real estimate for repairs from a body shop, then call the father or uncle and tell them the price of repair. If they send you a check in a week's time, I would cash the check and have the vehicle repaired before filing an insurance claim.

It's just my opinion for handling minor accidents when the other party offers to pay.

And police do come and fill out accident reports for parking lot accidents depending on your jurisdiction. You should always call them and let them decide.

Thank you everyone.
1 - I haven't reported accident when it happened (happened on Monday , today is Friday) - is it too late?
2 - I heard that for insurance companies anything on a parking lot is often considered 50/50, if decide this way, I don't have full coverage - how true is this?
3 - my vehicle has lots of other cosmetic imperfections, Im not sure if fixing this makes sence unless fully funded by insurance. So far, i had an estimate of $ 650

1 - I haven't reported accident when it happened (happened on Monday , today is Friday) - is it too late?

No.

If they ask you for money, it's a liability claim and you should report it to your insurance company.

2 - I heard that for insurance companies anything on a parking lot is often considered 50/50, if decide this way, I don't have full coverage - how true is this?

50/50 when people back out of opposite spaces and hit each other. 100% on the driver backing out and hitting somebody in the travel lane.

Based on your diagram the other driver is 100% at fault for making the bonehead move of driving across the parking spaces. You had the right of way.

Hopefully, you were able to get photos of the vehicle positions showing the other driver at right angles to you.

3 - my vehicle has lots of other cosmetic imperfections, Im not sure if fixing this makes since unless fully funded by insurance. So far, i had an estimate of $ 650

Sounds right, for sanding and repainting the plastic bumper cover. I would avoid replacing it on a 12 year old car.

Their damage is going to be several thousand since two doors are involved.

Any photos of both vehicles at point of impact?

Anyway, time to call them up with the cost of your repair and see what happens.

Report back after that contact.

The only picture of 2 vehicles together is this one. The other car didn't stop on impact, stopped shorty after.
I found someone who says they can fix mine for $300. Again, I have no idea what quality it would be... I contacted the other side about $300 and they were happy to hear. They want to meet and pay cash and they say they want to sign a short agreement (Im assuming about me not going after them after they paid what I asked).

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back