Parents car in my name

F

Felix5Rocks

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Okay so here's the problem I have. My mom does not have a drivers license, but is interested in buying a car to get her to and from work. My dad has a drivers license (and therefore would be the one driving the car), but refuses to put the car in his name. So, my mom asked me if I would put the title in my name. I already have one car in my name (my personal vehicle), so this would be a second addition. However, my dad would put the insurance in his name (and I would obviously be added as a second driver). I want to know the repercussions that could result if my dad has a accident or does something wrong and the title is in my name, but the insurance is in his?

Btw, I do not know the reason why my dad won't put the title in his name (he refuses to say)

Never title a car (or anything for that matter) in your name that isn't for your sole use.

You don't need to know the reason your father doesn't want the vehicle in his name for you to say, "Sorry, mom and dad, I love you both dearly. But, it isn't a financially sound decision for me to title a car in my name and allow you to regularly use it."

Your parents can buy a car and title the car in mother's name, because you don't need a drivers license to buy a car. Rich people buy cars and never drive them. Handicapped people buy cars they are physically unable to drive to have others transport them about. Don't fall for the old trick, put the title in your name, that also puts a great deal of responsibility in your lap!!! Some rich people haven't driven one of their cars in decades. A license to drive isn't a requirement of car ownership. Heck, you can buy a car and never buy plates for it, if you don't drive it on the public roadways.

Here you go:
Buying a Vehicle
//
//

I 100% agree. Don't do it. And you really don't even need to give Mom an explanation(because it will just give her something to argue about.) Simply say something like "I'm sorry Mom I don't think it 's a good idea."

I agree with the others who say it's not a good idea to put it in your name.

I never learned to drive so I've never had a driver's license, but I've taken out financing for and owned solely or co-owned with my husband every vehicle we've ever had. So even though your mom doesn't drive, there's no reason why she can't have a car in her name alone if your dad refuses to put it in his name.

I want to know the repercussions that could result if my dad has a accident or does something wrong and the title is in my name, but the insurance is in his?

I spent 35 years in the insurance business. In the event of an accident this whole thing can blow up in your face with catastrophic financial consequences. Trust me on that.

Btw, I do not know the reason why my dad won't put the title in his name (he refuses to say)

I'm confused about that. Wouldn't your Mom have had conversations with him as to why he won't do it? Maybe she can shed some light on it. After all, she lives with the guy.

And doesn't your Dad already have a car? If not, why not? There may be something there that answers the question as to why he won't do it.

That he's willing to insure the car but not own it is very strange.

Okay so here's the problem I have. My mom does not have a drivers license, but is interested in buying a car to get her to and from work. My dad has a drivers license (and therefore would be the one driving the car), but refuses to put the car in his name. So, my mom asked me if I would put the title in my name. I already have one car in my name (my personal vehicle), so this would be a second addition. However, my dad would put the insurance in his name (and I would obviously be added as a second driver). I want to know the repercussions that could result if my dad has a accident or does something wrong and the title is in my name, but the insurance is in his?

Don't do it. Mom can get it in her name.

Back