Parents are having problems w/ the neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

anh80

Hey guys, I need your help on this.

My parents are having problems w/ their neighbors, and I dont know how to help them.

The neighbors are harassing my parents, out of spite, just for fun. for example, they called the city and made a complaint that my parents were building a "house" in the backyard w/o a permit, which of couse my parents never did. The city called my parents and force them to leave work so the city's inspecter can come down to check the property.

If that was bad enough, just recently they called the police and made a complaint that my dad was blowing trash over to their front yard. The cop came and saw that my dad was actually cleaning the street of debris. Anyways, now, they call the city again and made up some obscured reason against my parents again. The city now keep sending letters to my parents wanting them to sit down w/ the neighbors to talk. here is the problem, my mother was a history of heart problem, and the constant annoyance is affecting here health. Is there anyway I can stop the neighbor from making false and ridiculous claim against my parents, or should I sue them for harassment to get them to stop ?

Also, one more question. The neighbor's trees are over growing onto our property but they refuse to trim the overgrowth. Is there any complaint/form I can file to force them to trim their trees? I live in san jose california....do you guys know of any law that will help me help my parents? The top problem is more important because it is affecting my mother's health. Thank u guys.

Last edited:
Let me ask the first, obvious question - has anything been discussed with the police regarding the neighbor's filing false police reports? You may want to call the police and officially file a complaint of your own.

Regarding the trees, from my experience you should write the neighbors a letter, certified return receipt, demanding that they trim their trees which have grown onto your property or else you will need to do so and you will send them a bill for which they will be responsible to pay. You should take good pictures and may want to send copies within that letter. If you are forced to trim the trees you can recover the costs in court. You may want to alert the police of your doing so prior to make sure that they are aware of what you are doing and that you are cutting a tree that is planted on your neighbor's property but is now reaching onto your property and which the neighbor refuses to handle.

Good luck.

Let me ask the first, obvious question - has anything been discussed with the police regarding the neighbor's filing false police reports? You may want to call the police and officially file a complaint of your own.

Regarding the trees, from my experience you should write the neighbors a letter, certified return receipt, demanding that they trim their trees which have grown onto your property or else you will need to do so and you will send them a bill for which they will be responsible to pay. You should take good pictures and may want to send copies within that letter. If you are forced to trim the trees you can recover the costs in court. You may want to alert the police of your doing so prior to make sure that they are aware of what you are doing and that you are cutting a tree that is planted on your neighbor's property but is now reaching onto your property and which the neighbor refuses to handle.

Good luck.

Thank you for responding. The police came and saw that my dad was just cleaning the street, so he left. The police officer also asked the neighbor about if he was the one who made the false claim that my parents were building in the back, and he admitted to it. All the cop said to my parents was that if the neighbor ever made a similar complaint he wont bother coming.

my question is, the neighbor keep find ways to annoy my parents. is there anything I can do to force him to stop?I love my parents a lot, it pains me a lot to see my mother keep on living w/ a constant fear, given the environment she grew up with the communist suppression and all, so you may be able to see her constant worries whenever it involve government officals, dispite there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer or know much about the law, but I would assume, that is a type of harassment and if you contacted the sheriff department near you they might give you some advice as to how to go about having them silenced. It is illegal to file false police reports and they could be fined and or jailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back