parental rights termination and step-parent adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesserin1998

I am unsure of where to begin my legal process. I am a military spouse of an active duty USAF member. We are currently stationed overseas and the base legal office doesnt handle family law issues. Before we moved overseas my daughter's biological father agreed to terminate his parental rights and allow my husband to adopt her. We were unable to complete this process (barely got it initiated) before we moved. I am a legal resident of Florida, having a driver's license and voter's registration from Florida. I was told previously that since we were living in California (while we were actually living there) that I had to file the adoption in California but now that we are not living there I am no longer able to file there because we weren't legal residents just residents based on military status. So now I don't know where to go. Can I file in Florida? What happens when the court proceedings are scheduled? Do we all have to fly back to Florida to be present? Is it possible to simply terminate her bio's rights and then proceed with the adoption once we are back in the states? I would be okay with this since at this point the biological father is not paying child support (never has), hasn't seen my daughter in 2years and only seen her twice in the the last 4years (she is only 8) and he is making it nearly impossible for me to get a leisure passport for her because I have to have his consent to apply. We got her a military passport to come over here but now she can't leave this country unless it is to go back to the United States and we would like to travel while we have the chance. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get the process started to remove him from our lives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back