Parental rights over 18yr old's property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo288

My brother and I(twins) recently turned 18. My parents are divorced, and it is a really complicated situation between them. My mom has custody, with a oral agreement with my dad saying that my two brothers and I alternate weeks between the two households. My mom lives 35 miles from the town where my dad lives, we all go to school, and where she works. My mom is emotionally unstable, she breaks up with her perpetual boyfriend at least 1 time a month, with every breakup being ugly. She is very controling, and will start yelling if we disagree with her.

My problem is that I share a car with my brother, which we bought together about 6 months ago while we were 17. The car title is in my moms name. As my brother and I are trying to get more freedom from all the ridiculous demands she puts on us, she has started holding this fact over us, saying that if we move to our dads house full time, she will keep our car. I payed 3800$ for it, and my brother payed me 1500$ for half ownership. I have records of the cashiers check from my bank account i used to buy it. my question is, can she take our car?

If the car title is only in her name, then yes she can take the car.

If you have paid her money for the car though it is possible you can sue her in small claims.

By the way in most states emancipation is 18 so you and your brother are free to move out if you are having problems with your mother.

Ditto ... and very similar to my reply on your first post (which was minus the added info about the car payments).

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back