Parental rights over 18yr old's property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo288

My brother and I(twins) recently turned 18. My parents are divorced, and it is a really complicated situation between them. My mom has custody, with a oral agreement with my dad saying that my two brothers and I alternate weeks between the two households. My mom lives 35 miles from the town where my dad lives, we all go to school, and where she works. My mom is emotionally unstable, she breaks up with her perpetual boyfriend at least 1 time a month, with every breakup being ugly. She is very controling, and will start yelling if we disagree with her.

My problem is that I share a car with my brother, which we bought together about 6 months ago while we were 17. The car title is in my moms name,

Technically, it sounds like the car is mom's property and not yours. Unless you can get her to sign over the title when she is in a good mood, it's her car. If you have been paying on the car, you can always take her to court for at least the value that you have paid on the car ... but I would hope you have cancelled checks and a contract.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back