Paperwork requirements

rmmart

Jurisdiction
California
When a landlord has papers served on a tenant does the summons served have to be stamped by the court clerk?

You likely need to submit a Proof of Service form to the clerk. If you hired someone to serve the document they likely did the proof of service already.

You likely need to submit a Proof of Service form to the clerk. If you hired someone to serve the document they likely did the proof of service already.
What I am asking about is the document titled summons, when landlord has it served on tenant is it supposed to have a court clerks stamp on it?

You can check with the clerk's office regarding procedure, but I don't think they stamp it until it returns with a proof of service.

Yes, the summons must be issued before service is valid.

I don't think they stamp it until it returns with a proof of service.

The summons is (usually) issued by the clerk at the time the complaint is filed. The clerk will place his/her official seal in the box at the bottom left of the form and date and sign it in the prior section. The clerk will only issue a single original summons, but the clerk will, if desired, place a date and signature stamp on additional copies of the summons. The plaintiff retains the original summons and either serves a copy of the original summons or one of the additional date/signature stamped copies on the defendant. If the OP is asking whether a summons is invalid if it is not a copy of the original summons, the answer is no.

After the summons and complaint have been served, the plaintiff files a proof of service, but the original summons will not be returned to the court unless the plaintiff is seeking entry of default (in which case the clerk will place a "filed" stamp in the box at the top right of the summons.

Back