Unlawful Eviction Overturn Eviction

G

I am currently being pursued for a debt collection of 12k+. This debt collection is for an eviction that was completed in July of 2014.

I entered into a one year lease agreement with two roommates in August of 2013. At the end of February 2014 we decided to terminate the lease. We paid a combined total of 4k+ to terminate the lease. The agreed upon move out date was March 31st 2014. My roommates and I moved the majority of our things out prior to that date. I had left a bed, desk and two nightstands there with the intent of them disposing of them. The management office called me on the date of the move out and informed me of the items that were left behind, I asked them to dispose of them.

Having thought that the issue was resolved and I would have been contacted should there be any additional charges I believed the move out to be complete. To my amazement I was sent an eviction notice and judgement of eviction on 7/18/2014. The court date was July 15th and I wasn't informed of this until 8/16/2014. I did end up receiving the mails finally at my place of residence with my girlfriend of whom I lived off and on with during this time.

By signing/paying for the early lease break I do not understand how I can be held accountable for all of these charges. If they wanted to charge me for the disposal I would be fine with that. There is no disposal charges on the move out checklist I have in my ownership.

I am here to ask for advice on what I can possible due legally to get rid of the eviction and the collections. What are the chances that I can get this overturned? Is it worth the time and effort? If the answer is yes, I am in the neighborhood for a good attorney.

Thanks!

You can't get an eviction, at least the one you describe overturned.
More than likely, the time has passed for you to have appealed the adverse decision.

This is how your state explains the eviction process and leave to appeal:

http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/section/eviction

There is probably a process in the housing court in Washington state, where it appears you are from. I don't know. In general in civil court, I'd bring an order to show cause to vacate a default judgment, which is usually the remedy in the event an injustice occurs and typically requires (at least in most jurisdictions within in which I'm aware):

(1) A default judgment against the party bringing the order;

(2) A bona fide reason why you didn't show in court;

(3) A reason why, if you had shown up in court, the outcome of the case would have been significantly affected.

I would guess that if there is a remedy available, you'll likely need to have at least these three boxes checked and responses provided to the court. Good luck.

Back