International Issue Overseas sex registry

american007

I was put on a sex offender registry overseas while I was living in Australia. After serving prison time and doing my parole I had my permanent resident visa cancelled and was sent to a detention center and later deported back home to the US.

I have no criminal record here in the US and have never even been arrested here. My question is if it possible that they can put me on any sort of sex offender register here in this country if I have never committed any crimes here.

Does something like being on a sex offender registry carry over from country to country? Or do Australia and the US have some sort of agreement that will make it happen even though I have a clean record here in my home country?

You betcha US authorities know everything about your criminal problems down in Oz.

As to your question, upon reentering the US, what did the USCIS authorities tell you, or the State Department?

When I returned I was questioned by authorities about what happened in Australia and why I was sent back to the US. I explained my visa was cancelled and what the charges were. My luggage was searched and then I told to get into contact with the governing authority here in my home city. I went into the city and saw the marshall and he said I would be fine as long as I had no warrants or problems here (which I don't).

That was a few months ago and everything had been fine since then. The problem now is that my family has come over from Australia and we decided to apply for a green card for my wife. Things seemed fine as far as the application was concerned. We sent in all the paperwork and supporting documents, paid the fees, and my wife gave her fingerprints.

The issue now is that I got a letter stating that they want my fingerprints which we wouldn't have thought twice about but it came with a letter stating our case was now under review and it was related to the Adam Walsh child protection safety act and is the reason they are requesting my prints. The offenses I went to prison for in Australia were child offenses.

So now my wife and I are scared that the application is going to get rejected and/or they will try and put me on a register here in the US which is the worst outcome we see happening. So really what I wanted to know is if now all of a sudden they can decide I belong on a register in this country even though I have never committed any crimes here in this country.

There is nothing prohibiting USCIS/FBI/Homeland Security from having you on a list, even if your offenses occurred elsewhere. Not exactly the same but do you honestly think the only people on terrorist watch lists are those who took action in this country?

I understand what you're saying and I know people of interest would be on a watchlist. I know that they are aware of what happened overseas and I'm sure they are keeping tabs on me to see if I ever slip up.

I just didn't think being on a watchlist was the same as being put on a public sex register. I guess I just hoped that I couldn't be put on a sex register without having committed a crime here in the US.

I understand what you're saying and I know people of interest would be on a watchlist. I know that they are aware of what happened overseas and I'm sure they are keeping tabs on me to see if I ever slip up.

I just didn't think being on a watchlist was the same as being put on a public sex register. I guess I just hoped that I couldn't be put on a sex register without having committed a crime here in the US.

It all has to do with treaties, mate.
Plus, what you were convicted is heinous.
If you were to offend again, and the likelihood is quite high, the victim's family would be outraged if the US authorities didn't make the neighbors aware.

I suggest you consult with a couple local attorneys, and see what you can learn as to how best to proceed.

Some offenses, heinous, vile offenses follow you all over this planet today.

You have to keep in mind the purpose of the sex offenders registry and the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA). It isn't just a list of people who committed a crime but considered a matter that is a public safety issue. From my understanding there is a belief that such crimes are usually compulsive and that they may be likely to be repeated. There is probably more in the Federal Sex Offender Guidelines and an attorney specializing in sex crimes might be of additional assistance.

Back