Overcharged security deposit

W

Well0258

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
Myself, husband and daughter lived in a townhome for 4 years. Upon giving notice we were given a two page single spaced cleaning checklist. The list was extensive and included cleaning exterior windows and fans which required a ladder. To me this seems like to fall under building maintenance. Nevertheless my husband enjoys a challenge and spent a total of probably 20 hours completing the checklist. We had our carpets steam cleaned and aside from a small ink stain they were in good shape. My husband was present for the checkout procedure and it was stated that the windows were not thoroughly cleaned but nothing else was stated. Around three weeks later we received a call stating that due to a severe odor they could not rent our town home. There was no odor present while we were living there. There was no odor present at checkout. They notified us that they ripped up carpet in one bedroom and there was mold under the carpet however this did not eliminate the odor. It has been 50 days and we have not received our security deposit. We did receive an itemized letter stating they charged us for 5 hours of cleaning windows which to me is ridiculous. They also said they are "working to resolve the odor issue" and in the future we may be charged for an entire carpet replacement. I feel that this situation is just bizarre. The odor seems to have developed after we vacated. I am not sure what happened but can be certain there was no odor while we lived there. The excessive cleaning demands and charges for cleaning makes me question the honesty of our landlords. I feel we are being treated unfairly and am wondering what my next action should be.

Back