Outpatient

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelK77

Hey my friend is currently in inpatient. However as soon as he's released his doctor is trying to say he has to do outpatient for 7 months. He's 21 but one of things the doctor is trying to say is he has to live with his mother during his outpatient care. He has his own apartment he was about to move to before he got sent to inpatient. His mother is the reason he got sent there in the first place. Is there anything he can do about this. He has a job and his own debts his mother pays for nothing of his and his own apartment. Is the doctor allowed to do this even though he's 21. They just seem to keep siding with his mother. He doesn't mind the inpatient but the outpatient is not an option for him. Some advise please.

Connecticut. He was diagnosed with bipolarity disorder. However he ended up there because his mom called the cops and told them he threatened suicide which was a lie since it happened as soon as she found out he's moving out. He went to the hospital and each time a doctor was going to release him the mother talked to the doctor and convinced the doctor he was unstable and made him go from observation to involuntary impatient based on what she said alone. The inpatient only knows that he's there because his mom said he may hurt himself and told him after the program he will most likely have to do outpatient and have to live with his mom. He never attempted anything. Its his moms words against his. Each time he tries to explain to the doctors they say we don't believe you your mom seems like a nice person. When it happened she actually picked up the phone and told me "This is not a game Samm needs to be taught a lesson and hung up."

I am not a Connecticut lawyer, much less familiar with Connecticut mental health law. You may wish to confirm this with a local lawyer.

By "involuntary inpatient", I take it he has been committed? Then he has to do what his doctor says. If doctor says he can only be discharged to his mom's care, then that is what happens.

There are a few things he (or you) can do if he objects. He is entitled to a re-hearing every year. He can apply for a commission to inquire whether he was wrongly confined, he can file for a writ of habeas corpus, he can appeal the decision of the court. See Connecticut statutes 17a-523 to 17a-525. I don't know how that is done or what his prospects might be. To be committed, at least two impartial physicans, one a psychiatrist, must have reported to the court that he is a danger to himself or to others. That's pretty powerful stuff to try to overcome. "The doctor believes his mom instead of him" might be unlikely to succeed. And that might not be a bad thing.

Then how is he an "involuntary inpatient"?

If he's voluntary, he can just walk. Any time he likes, he can give notice of intent to leave. He can't be held for more than three days after that unless someone files an application to have him committed.

Thats the confusing part he's only there out of doctor recommendation from the hosptial and was told that as soon as he's there he can't leave without a doctor recommendation out but the problem is he would have to live with his mom and follow outpatient care. The mom was the one who got him put in there illegally in the first place but he's too scared to put in a request to review his case because alot of people who have ended up getting commited more strictly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back