Medical Malpractice Ototoxic drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

barman

I changed doctors around late January of 2015. At the time I was on 10 mg of Crestor and doing all right. My new doctor, who failed to get any bloodwork on me, just decided that I needed to be on 40 mg of Atorvastatin (generic Lipitor). After several months of taking this dose, I developed Tinnitus in both ears. That same doctor ordered vestibular testing, but did not advise me to get off the Atorvastatin. Several abnormalities were found. I then went to two separate ent doctors and had an audiology assess my hearing. The results were identical - bilateral asymmetrical hearing loss. A brain MRI was completely normal. I did some research on my own and discovered that statin drugs can be ototoxic to some people and that I'm not the only one who has had this reaction. I now have constant tinnitus and also have balance problems. I stopped taking the Atorvastatin on my own, because my doctor more or less abandoned me at some point and never warned me about taking that drug. This is all very distressing and life-changing, and I'm wondering if this doctor is culpable.

Most all drugs (if not all drugs) have various possible side effects for some people. Generally when you get a prescription filled, there is an insert with a list of possible side effects. I don't believe you have much of a case. However, you are always free to talk to a medical malpractice attorney.

Most all drugs (if not all drugs) have various possible side effects for some people. Generally when you get a prescription filled, there is an insert with a list of possible side effects. I don't believe you have much of a case. However, you are always free to talk to a medical malpractice attorney.
k

There is no mention of any side effects on the ears. The manufacturer has purposely ignored a study that showed a connection between Atorvastatin and hearing loss. It seems you are all too anxious to dismiss my complaints. Are you an attorney? Yes, I will talk to malpractice attorneys because the doctor did not act prudently and with caution. You obviously did not understand or care to understand the case I am presenting. If you don't have anything constructive to offer, then don't bother to reply. Let's see how you feel when your health is ruined by some doctor who wantonly prescribes an excessive dose of something toxic. If you are any example of what this web site offers, then I'd say it's pretty useless!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back