Oregon- who is responsible for the disconnect of a fuel station fuel hose in this situation....

Bradley Logsdon

Jurisdiction
Oregon
In Oregon state customers can't pump there own fuel.
I'm new to Oregon.
Scenario- I pull up to the pump and the attendant puts the fuel nozzle to my tank. I hand him$100 and ask for $20 in fuel. He walks off and I assume he starts to fuel me up. Takes a while assisting other customers and eventually comes back with my change. Hands me my change. does something with the pump (I'm assuming he's finished here) I say thanks man, have a good night. I turn my car on and begin driving off and *BaM* I pull the nozzle & hose from the disconnect.
I had to provide insurance. For the possibility of breaking the hose.
I don't feel like I'm at fault. They guy handed me my change so I believed he was finished. Normally when I receive my change the attendant is finished pumping. Who's responsible for the fuel hose in this situation?

It probably isn't broken. Is is designed to come apart for exactly that reason.

You both share fault. The attendant clearly should have removed the fuel nozzle freon the car, however you are responsible for the operation of your vehicle and should have made sure it was safe to proceed.

It probably isn't broken. Is is designed to come apart for exactly that reason.

You both share fault. The attendant clearly should have removed the fuel nozzle freon the car, however you are responsible for the operation of your vehicle and should have made sure it was safe to proceed.
IMO, the OP was fully at fault. They drove off before being told the attendant was done.

I agree.

The attendant was in control of the hose.

The driver was in control of the car.

Each had duties to the other.

Blonde woman - aka- Karen tries to fill up a Tesla Model S with gasoline.

What do You think is gonna happen?

The fun begins about 1:15

In some parts of Oregon state customers can't pump there own fuel.

ftfy

He walks off and I assume he starts to fuel me up.

Assume? Whether he did or didn't would be easy to determine even from the inside in most passenger vehicles.

and eventually comes back with my change. Hands me my change. does something with the pump (I'm assuming he's finished here) I say thanks man, have a good night. I turn my car on and begin driving off and *BaM* I pull the nozzle & hose from the disconnect.

Before you did this, did you look in your side view mirror to see if the hose had been removed? Did you get out of your car and check? Did you ask the attendant?

Who's responsible for the fuel hose in this situation?

I think the better argument is that you are. You ultimately controlled what happened here. It would have been simple for you to confirm whether or not the hose was attached. However, you apparently proceeded based on assumptions.

Back