Ordinance 12.04.033a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mori1

On 7/16/10 I was involved in a fender bender on the highway in Overland Park, KS. It had been raining so the roads were wet. I was going 45 mph when I noticed that traffic had slowed down so I hit my brakes only I just kept going. I tried to go into the empty lane on my right but the car wouldn't go. I was stopped by the bumper of a jeep. No one was hurt, but the jeep bumper got bent. Anyway I was giving a ticket for going at a speed greater than reasonable/prudent for hazards. My insurance agent says I should to fight the ticket. I plan on going to court if nothing more then to have the fee reduce ($121) as I am unemployed. This is my first accident and speeding ticket, not sure what to do?

Do as recommended... appear in court and see if you can get the fee reduced.
As you describe it, you were at fault (too fast for conditions), and you were cited properly.
Making a court appearance and making your financial hardship known might help to get your fees reduced.... doesn't hurt to try.

Mori1 said:
Thanks for the reply but is there anything else I can to do to present my case?

Yes, take traffic school.
Complete it online or in person, and the ticket will be dismissed.
It's the cheapest way to vaporize traffic citations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will look into that, is there any you recommend? Too many scams out there, can't be to careful.

Yes, take traffic school.
Complete it online or in person, and the ticket will be dismissed.
It's the cheapest way to vaporize traffic citations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since there is so much on traffic schools online I decided to play it safe and find out which one the court uses. However, when I called I was told that they only accept traffic school for those under 18 which I am not. So if you think of anything else let me know.

Okay, I thought I would update you on what happened. First of all had I gotten this ticket anywhere else but Overland Park, I could have done the traffic school avenue. I showed up and gave my name to the ladies up front so they would have my information for the judge. I proceeded to the courtroom expecting to see the officer who gave me the ticket but he wasn't there. When the judge called my name I was a little confused because no cop or even the prosecutor. The judge asked me how I wanted to plead, my mind went blank. I told him I was new at this and what were my options. Not guilty and I have a trial, No contest and pay the fine, guilty and I pay the fine. I opened my mouth but nothing came out so I was Pro Se Plea in which I would talk to the prosecutor. I was given a day and time when I needed to show up.

I show up to the courtroom there was no judge but two ladies instead, the prosecutors:confused:? Anyway, my name was called, I mentioned that this was my first time in this situation. I let her her know that I was unemployed and didn't have the money to pay fine. I was given several choices none of which was a fee reduction. I could get it changed to a nonmoving violation for $250 which of course I didn't have. I could pay by doing community service at $8 an hour but I make more doing odd jobs so that was out. Pay the fine I have and see if the judge would give a payment option. I decided it to stick to my original fine and see how much time the judge would give me.

I was sent to the next courtroom where the judge gave me 60 days to pay off my fine. I wasn't too happy about pleading guilty, should have said no contest, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back