1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

OPT EXTENSION F Visa

Discussion in 'Cultural, Training, Student Visa' started by Kan13, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Kan13

Kan13 Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    Hi,

I am a student from an university in Atlanta, Georgia. I joined the school through a credit transfer program. I took MBA in Technology Management as my DSO said it would come under STEM and I could get an 24 month OPT EXTENSION. Keeping that in mind I haven't applied for H1, planning for next year. Now I'm done with 8 months of my OPT and just been informed that my degree would not be eligible for OPT extension. School DSO is apologizing for the error made. Their negligence has a major impact on my career and now I have to join another school to maintain my status. So this is a costly error. Can I sue my school?

Please advise.

Thanks.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Sure, anyone can anyone they want to sue, this is sue happy USA.

Will you prevail?

Probably not.

3. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I assume you may be talking about this - STEM - OPT Extension. You may have a difficult time suing if there is no formal qualification represented to you. I don't know the details, who may have made the alleged statement (and which the school may claim was an informal statement not meant to be relied upon conclusively) nor whether you had an immigration attorney who may have been able to better advise you.