Operating a bawdy house

Status
Not open for further replies.

helplessfriend

I hope I am posting this in correct area.....

I have a female friend of mine who is a US citizen (from Detroit, MI). She visited Toronto, Ontario and got mixed
up with the wrong people. She was recently arrested for operating a bawdy-house. Either she has made bail for her criminal charges or they were dropped completely. She is still being held by Canada's immigration. This is the first time she has ever been to jail (she never even had a ticket in her life). Prior to her arrest, she had only been in Canada for roughly 45 days. I am trying to help her get released (either over there or deported back home), and I fear I am her only hope (I am her only true friend). I am not legal savvy at all and I am also a US citizen. My question is how would we go about getting her released or either deported....and which one would be faster. Thank you in advance for your help.

You can contact the US Embassy in Toronto. They can't expedite her proceedings, but they can ensure her rights are protected.

Eventually, she'll be released, charged, or deported. There might be combinations of any and all if the above.

She can ask the Canadian authorities to appoint legal counsel to represent her. Then she'll just have to be patient. Justice is rarely swift.

I truly appreciate it, but is there any other option? She is extremely afraid and her cellmate is committed armed robbery (she on the other hand was a salutatorian ). Is there any way to get her out faster?

I truly appreciate it, but is there any other option? She is extremely afraid and her cellmate is committed armed robbery (she on the other hand was a salutatorian ). Is there any way to get her out faster?

Not any LEGAL ways, of which I'm aware.

Canada is a sovereign nation. Their laws and criminal procedures are different than ours.

She will be released in due course. These things can take a month, if you're lucky. They sometimes take six months, or more.

Contact the US Embassy in Ottawa or the Consulate in Toronto. They'll help her and see that she gets proper legal representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back