Extension, Renewal Ontario renewal lease does not promise same apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollo

Jurisdiction
Ontario
Hello! I was wondering if it is legal for landlords to ask tenants to sign a lease that has a minimal period of 3 years?

I have been living in my current premise for two years, and have only been signing 1-year lease. However, my landlord has recently drafted up a new lease that states that upon the termination of the old lease, tenants need to renew for a minimum period of 3 years (with possible opt-outs). The lease states that a tenant may only opt-out of the 3-year lease on the August of each year, but have to give a notice at least 8 months in advance. For instance, if I wish to opt out of the 3-year lease on August 2018, I must give a notice no later than December 2017.

If the tenant do not wish to sign the 3-year lease, the tenant would become a month-to-month tenant. However, the month-to-month rate is $914/month while my previous lease rent is $714/month .

Is this legal? Thank you so much!

Hello! I was wondering if it is legal for a renewal lease to only state the room type but does not promise that the renwing tenant would be staying in the original apartment? The lease basically states that the tenant would be subjected to the landlord's random assignment of apartment (for no valid reason) upon renewal term.

Thank you so much!

Hello! I was wondering if it is legal for landlords to ask tenants to sign a lease that has a minimal period of 3 years?

I have been living in my current premise for two years, and have only been signing 1-year lease. However, my landlord has recently drafted up a new lease that states that upon the termination of the old lease, tenants need to renew for a minimum period of 3 years (with possible opt-outs). The lease states that a tenant may only opt-out of the 3-year lease on the August of each year, but have to give a notice at least 8 months in advance. For instance, if I wish to opt out of the 3-year lease on August 2018, I must give a notice no later than December 2017.

If the tenant do not wish to sign the 3-year lease, the tenant would become a month-to-month tenant. However, the month-to-month rate is $914/month while my previous lease rent is $714/month .

Is this legal? Thank you so much!

This forum discusses the laws of the USA and its various states.
No one here knows anything about Canadian federal or provincial laws.
Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back