Online Proctoring Legal?

DC77

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I have a new issue at my school. We are on our last test and the instructor is forcing us to now download a browser proctor that will record us. Wouldn't we have to agree to these terms prior to the class?

Other than feeling extremely invasive, I would also have to alter features on my computer to download it. Once I alter these features, I can not get them back. It's an all or nothing deal Microsoft did called the S mode. It keeps the computer safe from cyber attacks.

Am I stuck?? I understand that these are extenuating circumstances and we need to be flexible, but the way this is dropped on us the day before a test doesn't seem legal.

Thank you for your input.

Am I stuck?? I understand that these are extenuating circumstances and we need to be flexible, but the way this is dropped on us the day before a test doesn't seem legal

You don't have to do what is required by the prof.

Should you choose to be obstinate, you could reap a bitter harvest.

I've learned to pick my battles.

Most of these fiats are best ignored and obeyed if you seek higher goals.

Some of us can be our worst impediment to our own success.

thank you all. I will pass the info... not trying to battle, I'm just not willing to wipe my security and allow a program like that on my personal property. She gave us less than 24 hours to figure this out. She's a despicable person, but has given me an alternative, so I'm taking that.

thank you all. I will pass the info... not trying to battle, I'm just not willing to wipe my security and allow a program like that on my personal property. She gave us less than 24 hours to figure this out. She's a despicable person, but has given me an alternative, so I'm taking that.

The moment you are done with the test you can delete the program and reset your security.

She's a despicable person, but has given me an alternative, so I'm taking that.

When I have options I always choose the least restrictive.

Bully for you, mate.

You won, so take the test, get your passing grade, let it go, live a great life.

@PayrollHRGuy unfortunately the Microsoft security feature on this computer can't be replaced. MS made it an all or nothing deal. Two classmates have already had their computers crashed too. I'm fine using the program. I think it's very invasive to be recorded and scrutinized, but I've earned a 99% and have nothing to hide. And that was all done in class. Not online. I'm just not going to put that kind of of spyware on my private property and let something hijack my personal computer. I don't think that should be alright. And I don't think it was right how she cornered all of us with one days notice. People have kids and obligations. Some people live a distance away. It was incredibly discourteous and unprofessional. But that's how she handles EVERYTHING. People are really upset.

We also have 5 more tests.

A classmate wanted to ask, can she/the school be held liable for damages to their computer. I guess some are having some bad issues with the download.

And can she be held liable if they contract covid going to the testing center?

A classmate wanted to ask, can she/the school be held liable for damages to their computer. I guess some are having some bad issues with the download.

I doubt it, but anything can happen in the USA.

And can she be held liable if they contract covid going to the testing center?

Again, very doubtful, as long as the Chinese Biowarfare Virus has our entire nation under mandated quarantines and home incarcerations.

The instructor is mandating, if we don't use software, that we break quarantine to go to campus to take the test in an indoor computer lab. It's a misdemeanor here to break stay at home for non essential, but maybe this is essential? I don't know. We're all just exhausted.

The instructor is mandating, if we don't use software, that we break quarantine to go to campus to take the test in an indoor computer lab. It's a misdemeanor here to break stay at home for non essential, but maybe this is essential? I don't know. We're all just exhausted.

You can as a group address your concerns to the academic dean, student life dean, your campus police agency (regarding physical safety & fears), the student medical services, or the chair of the department in which your pompous prof teaches.

If you all signed a petition or a formal student complaint you just might get some relief or forbearance.

You could also take your concerns to the mayor and/or city council officials.

Thank you army judge! Unfortunately, she is the chair/director too! As well as academic advisor. I'll start looking into getting emails for the people above her, but it's tough to convince people to say anything. Everyone is afraid of her because of her power and position... I wouldn't have even thought of the mayor.

Thank you army judge! Unfortunately, she is the chair/director too! As well as academic advisor. I'll start looking into getting emails for the people above her, but it's tough to convince people to say anything. Everyone is afraid of her because of her power and position... I wouldn't have even thought of the mayor.

That cheap computer that is used solely for the class sure is looking better now, huh?

I did some investigation into MS10 S Mode and you are correct that leaving it is a one-way trip. Nobody seems to be able to figure out why MS built it that way but they did.

That said unless you are handling super-secret data it seems like extreme overkill.

Being I'm out of work and this is the last 2 weeks of classes, it doesn't. It probably wouldn't even get here in time.

Then install a virtual machine on your computer and run the class software using that virtual machine...

Other than feeling extremely invasive, I would also have to alter features on my computer to download it. Once I alter these features, I can not get them back. It's an all or nothing deal Microsoft did called the S mode. It keeps the computer safe from cyber attacks.
That's not correct (according to Microsoft). You can install S Mode and then you can exit out of S Mode. The caveat is that you cannot reenter S Mode after you exit it.

I also don't understand why you feel this is so "invasive". It simply restricts you from running software that doesn't come from the Windows Store. Perhaps the word you were looking for is "restrictive"?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

I think he is wanting to keep S Mode for the protection he thinks he needs.

And the "invasive" comment was about the proctoring software.

I think he is wanting to keep S Mode for the protection he thinks he needs.

And the "invasive" comment was about the proctoring software.
Oh, I see. He is currently running S mode and doesn't want to lose it. Ok then, a virtual machine is probably the best route for the OP to take.

I wonder, though, what happens to the students who aren't even using a Windows machine...

Back