Online Impersonation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louanne

What are my legal rights in this situation, what type of charges or case could I have? I have found that my husband has been impersonating me online to talk to men and women, having relationships with them in sexual and intimate ways. These people know who I am, know that I have a young son, and at least one knows where I work. There are numerous photos that have been shared all over the internet and with people of me, some are actually normal pictures of me and some are photo shopped to look like me doing inappropriate things. There have been awful untrue things said about me in a sexual nature that could ruin my reputation as I work in the school system. I am very upset and not sure what my rights are.

Besides divorcing him? Those who know you should know that you don't act in that way (if you don't).

I don't and would never put my child in danger that way or my job. We are getting divorced but I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. He has done this to other women also.

Well, I'm sure it's obvious when he meets up with these people that he's not the woman in the picture, isn't it?

Besides, if any trouble starts at school, you've always got the AEA plus the local who should have your back.

I do not feel safe. I feel as if everything I have is a lie. I do not trust that anything I text, type, email is ever safe. I feel that he has hacked everything I own and has complete control over things. He has had long relationships with men pretending to be me. I worry that my child is could be subjected to this type of behavior.

So there is no legal case against for impersonating someone to that degree? For defamation of character? I have been told to seek legal help in case things got worse in the future. He only has online relationships with the men so he doesn't meet them. But they are people who live in my hometown that could see myself and my son out at anytime. He would hack into my personal account (FB) to respond to these people to prove he was really me then delete everything when I was asleep.
I don't have AEA representation

I do not feel safe. I feel as if everything I have is a lie. I do not trust that anything I text, type, email is ever safe. I feel that he has hacked everything I own and has complete control over things. He has had long relationships with men pretending to be me. I worry that my child is could be subjected to this type of behavior.

Start by contacting the police. See what they advise.
Discuss what you've learned with your divorce attorney. See what he or she advises.
Sharing this on the Internet further exposes you, it certainly doesn't help you.
Even as I type this, based upon your concerns and revelations, I'm not sure I'm responding to you or the imposter. So, I'll stop now. Suddenly, I feel odd, very odd!

Then change your internet habits. Change your passwords. Don't save passwords on your computer. Logout of every site you use, so you would have to physically re-enter every password for those sites that you use. Lock your phone, so it requires a passcode every time you access it.

There are +300 million people in the US alone, so I doubt very seriously any of husband's boyfriends are going to turn up in your little section of Alabama. This will not factor into your husband having custody or visitation.

These "Catfish" stories can be quite harmful to many persons. Where there may not be a criminal case you can seek advice from a local Attorney about any civil matter that might be pursued. In mean time you need to get out of this situation before it causes you harm in one way or another. Here is a story how people were impacted by online impersonation and who was harmed emotionally and other ways http://www.parentnook.com/dont-be-fooled-by-internet-catfish/

I agree with the responders who suggested you might want to talk to an attorney.

Wow that is an awful lot of work. Life was so much easier when I used to meet middle age ladies who knew I was married and just wanted a good time ending in my bed.

hi shrinkmaster,

I am trying to find out whether a specific store is a subscriber of any theft database! Could you please also tell me the email address of "person ... gave"? You gave out that information to another fellow in another post but the content was blocked out. Thanks so much!

Thanks for responding but I find your comments rude as if you are putting me down. This is serious to me. And these persons he has relationships with all live in my area within 25 miles of me as I said before.

Shrink master thanks for your replys as well as the others who did not feel the need to put me in further down. This is serious and troubling to me. I have changed passwords and hope that helps in that end. I've heard if cat fishing through research on this type of thing but do people usually pretend to be someone they know when doing something if that nature. It's sad and sick and has hurt me so badly

That article is very good...I wish there was more information on this subject. But sadly in my case it wasn't a make believe character being used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back