On the job discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axemanh1

I am in a bad position and need to find out what can be done. I work for the federal government as a police officer. Less than a year ago, my department hired a new Chief of Police who, for some reason, has decided that I am to be held to a different standard than the rest of the department. I have been suspended for violating department procedures; however our department Standard operating procedures are routinely violated by most officers / supervisors. The shift supervisor was at the scene of the incident that led to the suspension, but made no effort to stop the alleged violations. During the so-called investigation, our acting supervisor contradicted herself several times and has made false statements that are proven by independent paperwork from an outside source. Our Chief prefers to discipline me, but do nothing to the supervisor.

Now I am being held under a microscope and anything that they can come up with is being noted. However, all violations by other officers of our department SOP are being ignored.

What are my legal options pertaining to the discriminatory actions by the department?

That depends. Not all discrimination is illegal.

If you had to guess, WHY do you think you have been singled out for this treatment?

Thank you for your reply,

My belief is that, for the most part, many of our officers put blinders on when they go on patrol. We have several that haven't written a citation in years. This type of behavior will not generate complaints.

I am proactive. I try to address continual trouble areas as far as traffic, etc. This has led to a few complaints. Although I have not been allowed to see the complaints, I am told that they are of the "This officer is picking on me because he won't let me do what I want to do." variety.

It is my belief that since I am the subject of a few complaints, management believes that there is a problem with me.

I do however believe that ignoring everything is the wrong mindset for this occupation. It is my duty to address law violations, the physical security of government property, and the safety of everyone that uses these facilities.

My tolerances are on line with the surrounding communities. I don't conduct traffic stops for 2 miles over the limit, I don't single people out, I treat everyone equally. I just won't ignore violations that I witness while performing my job.

What you describe does not constitute illegal discrimination, sorry. It may not be right, it may not be fair, but it is not illegal.

If you are part of a union, you might want to see if your treatment violates anything in your CBA.

I was afraid of that. It is a sad state of affairs where you can single out an employee and legally hold them to a different standard than the rest of your employees.

Thank you cbg. I greatly appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back