On medical leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

meme

There are many people in surgery who are suppose to be certified in different areas as well as mine and I have a question about my rights as far as FMLA goes. I was hired to work in a hospital as a patient care tech because I was going to school to become a surgical technologist. After I finished school I was moved up as a surgical tech but was also required to get my certification. I took my test but failed,my supervisors were notified about this situation. I was then asked to take my test again but could not afford to do so and they were aware of this also. I then asked if I could be demoted until I was able to get my certification and the question was never answered. We then had a meeting and they agreed to pay for my test and when I passed I could continue to work. In January of this year I was in and out of the hospital due to medical conditions that are still not figured out yet. I sent off paperwork to register for my test and had to wait on a reply from the testing center,this was in April. I explained to my supervisor that the test were given every third Friday of the month and she told me that if I was unable to take my test within the 30days from April 18th to let her know then we could change some things. I began having syncope spells in January and also passed out at home and work as well. Around mid April my doctor took me off work due to high blood pressure,syncope,depression amongst other things. I attempted to go to work because I needed my job but they would not let me which was understandable. During this time of my FMLA I was under the care of 4 different doctors undergoing different test. About a month later my primary physician released my to go back to work on light duty which in surgery they say that there is no light duty,so I then attempted to talk to someone in IDM to go on transitional duty until I was fully released to be able to return to work and take my test. I was scheduled to return to work in June on light duty working in surgery waiting, I went to work on a Thursday in June cant recall exact date right now, but I went to get information on times and the dates when I was suppose to start. i was scheduled to start on Monday when I received a phone call from IDM saying that I was not eligible for transitional duty due to me not being certified. I did not understand what that had to do with anything since I was scheduled to take my test once I was released. I spoke with HR and they told me that they would see if I could stay on leave until I took my test in 30days but the director in surgery apparently said no. I was then told that I was going to be put on a 30day administrative leave and could look for another job in the hospital which is not what I wanted to do because I would not be making the same amount of money and I would not be doing what I went to school for. My test was already paid for and when I called to speak the director of surgery she answered the phone and when I acknowledged who I was she cut me off and told me that she had to call me back and never did so. I have always felt discriminated in my department due to other situations. So my question is do you think that I have a case because everything was in the works and I tried on several attempts to return back to work to be able to take my test and every time I would go to employee health they would never release me although my doctor had already done so. My health was nothing new to them because I would always make them aware of what was going on but my condition just seemed to get worse so I filled out necessary paperwork to go on leave. Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back