On federal regulation of abortions for fetal tissue transplantation

TimU

Re the Planned Parenthood organ selling scandal. We're trying to interpret 42 U.S. Code § 289g–1 - Research on transplantation of fetal tissue... One of us says that the word 'solely' in paragraph 2 a ii .... no alteration of the timing, method, or procedures used to terminate the pregnancy was made solely for the purposes of obtaining the tissue;... means that if the abortion is used for another reason other than fetal tissue purposes, say, health of the mother, then it is fine to alter the abortion, where the other says that prohibition stops provider from altering the abortion period.
How is solely rightly used here?

Re the Planned Parenthood organ selling scandal. We're trying to interpret 42 U.S. Code § 289g–1 - Research on transplantation of fetal tissue... One of us says that the word 'solely' in paragraph 2 a ii .... no alteration of the timing, method, or procedures used to terminate the pregnancy was made solely for the purposes of obtaining the tissue;... means that if the abortion is used for another reason other than fetal tissue purposes, say, health of the mother, then it is fine to alter the abortion, where the other says that prohibition stops provider from altering the abortion period.
How is solely rightly used here?

In my view, that statute is like hundreds of others, ambivalent, as in unclear.
The interpretation will one day be decided by several federal judges, offering divergent opinions, and may one day wind up before the Supremes.

As a strict constructionist, I read the word solely as its used in the daily language, menaing one specific use.

I side with the former, not the latter of you two.

Back