Old Judgement

J

Jimw

Jurisdiction
California
I have an old Judgement against me from 1997. The company that originally had the judgement is no longer in business. There is a new scum sucking company that just renewed the judgement without serving me. I had no clue this eas still in effect. What are my options. It's just over $4000.

I have an old Judgement against me from 1997. The company that originally had the judgement is no longer in business. There is a new scum sucking company that just renewed the judgement without serving me. I had no clue this eas still in effect. What are my options. It's just over $4000.

It depends on whether the "judgment" remains a judgment.

it also depends on whether the judgment holder is a properly assigned holder in due course.

You need to research the court site where the judgment was ALLEGEDLY renewed to know with certainty!

Judgments must be renewed in CA every TEN years.

They must be properly renewed.

Money judgments in CA automatically expire (run out) after 10 years.

To prevent this from happening, the judgment creditor must file a request for renewal of the judgment with the court BEFORE the 10 years runs out.
If the judgment is not renewed PRIOR to the tenth anniversary, it will not be enforceable any longer and the creditor (or his assign) will not be able to get the money owed.

Once a judgment has been renewed, it cannot be renewed again until at least 5 years later.
The judgment holder must ensure the judgment is renewed at least every 10 years or it expires.

When the judgment is renewed, the interest that has accrued will be added to the principal amount owing.

From that point on the judgment holder (or his assign) is entitled to interest on the accrued interest.

This website by your CA Courts explains the process:
[[[
]]]
Renew Your Judgment - small_claims_selfhelp
[[[
]]]

How did you become aware of this? If all you have is a letter from said scum sucker then the simplest way to handle the problem is by storing their letters unopened and in the trash.
As above, take the time to try and determine whether the judgment is still valid. Don't take the scum sucker's word for it.

Back