Consumer Law, Warranties Oil Change at sears. No Oil Seized engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemewyfit

Hello,

This is my 1st post on this site. I have a story to share and seeing if some advice is available.

Yesterday, I took my 2001 Jeep to Sears for an oil change, when it was complete I paid the man and went to my car to drive to a buddies house. After about 3 mins of driving my the engine stopped complete and I immediately pulled over. I was unsure what had just happened, my 1st thought was the techs at the sears did something to my car. I called sears while on the side of the road and explained to them what happened, the 1st person I spoke to said it was it could not possibly be their fault because it was only an oil change and suggested that I get the car towed to there shop.

I asked to speak to the manager and explain the situation, and it just seems very strange that my car stopped working 3 minutes after I leaving there shop. The manager agreed after some convincing and said he would drive down with the tech that worked on it. They both arrived shortly after our conversation and tech pulled the dipstick out to check the oil. I asked him if their was any oil and he said very little. He then looked under neath the car and came back out, brought his manager to the side and spoke with him for a minute. The manager then walks over to me and says their is no plug on the oil tank.

The manager said they would run to the shop and bring back some oil and try to start it. I am thinking to myself how are they going to find the plug to the oil tank if it fell off somehow. The tech came back 1st and put about 4 quarts of oil in my car. I asked him if this could of seized my engine and he said probably. After the oil was in I tried to start the car with no luck. I suggested we wait a few minute and try again but the tech seems to think that the cars engine became seized. The manager arrived and I could tell he did not know what to do. He asked me if I had AAA and I replied no but my wife does but she was working a long distance away.

He then drove me back to the shop and we sat in the back room while he tried to contact his manager. He must of contacted somebody because he began to call their insurance company and explain what happened. Listening in on the conversation a bit the manager explain the situation correctly to the insurance company and noting that they found the plug to the oil tank.

This mean to me that the tech must not of put any oil in the car and did not put the plug back in. Anther man entered the room and asked that I leave the back office and wait in the waiting room. I did and called my wife and father and explained what happened. I also asked my wife to drive to the location and pick me up.

After about 30 minutes the manager returned and explained that he could not get a hold of any of his supervisors. I said that they will need to fix this situation by fixing my car and getting me a rental car. He agreed and offered to drive me home I said no and I would have my wife pick me up but I would need the rental car by Monday for work.

So today the manager called and suggested that I purchase a rental and that the company would reimburse me. I told him I would call him back after checked prices on the car. Thinking to myself the huge charge the rental company would be charging my credit card I am not sure if I would have enough to cover it. I called the manager back and explained that this would be a large charge on my credit card and suggested that we wait until the district manager arrives tomorrow before I make this purchase.

The manager at sears seems to take responsibility for the problem and it will to help me but I am curious how I should handle this situation.

The jeep.
the only thing I think would be reasonable for them is to replace the engine or give me some sort of cash settlement. I would prefer them to actually fix the car. Second they need to provide a rental car until my car is fixed. Lastly, and this is something I am unclear on but shouldn't they give me some sort of compensation for this huge mess that was created?

Thanks in advance

You need to start documenting EVERYTHING as soon as possible. Any verbal promise needs to be put in writing. Insist on it.

They do not have to get you a rental. Your own insurance may be able to help you handle this. If you do incur any cost from a rental you may very well be able to get them to reimburse you, and if they refuse you can bring a lawsuit. If they do provide one for you then they are being VERY cooperative.

They know they blew it and this is a very expensive mistake. You can take the car to another shop for estimate repair and bring the bill to Sears. They are not equipped to do the repair you will need anyway. They are only going to find the cheapest place possible and have that shop do it. Get your own mechanic of choice to inspect the vehicle BEFORE Sears does anything else with it. Obtain written estimates of the repairs/damage.

Don't burn bridges. It sounds like Sears is being cooperative so far, so keep on good terms.... just don't keep this between you and them. Get another qualified mechanic involved so you can properly evaluate the information Sears is feeding you.

Also get their insurance information and provide it to your insurance. If they won't provide it, see if your own insurance will take up the matter and contact Sears on your behalf. This will all depend on the quality of your insurance company.

Compensation? No. They are responsible for making you whole. Keep track of extra expenses you have as a result of this. keep receipts. Be reasonable about it. When the time comes you can present your bill to them and demand payment (your insurance may handle this for you if they negotiate the matter) and take the matter to court if they don't make you whole.

We had an issue with Sears auto repair once ourselves. We contacted Store manager and Sears corporate and fianlly got what we asked for. We also threatened to make calsl to both The Better Business Bureau and the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair). I agree get all agreements in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back