Ohio landlord deducting without repairing

Aewart

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I moved out two weeks ago and did a walk through with my landlord. There were two issues of concern during the inspection: the blinds in two rooms were damaged from our dog and there were scratches in the hardwod floor in front of the entry door also from the dog. The rest of the apartment was immaculate and didn't even require cleaning.

We agreed that I would repair the blinds and the landlord would get an estimate for the floor. At the time he estimated that it would be around $275. That was also after he tried to tell us that the $250 pet deposit we paid was just a pet fee and not a deposit towards damages, which we proved to be wrong according to our lease.

Two weeks later I received an estimate forwarded directlty from the contractor that is almost $1000. When we moved in there were already scatches in the other rooms (previous tenant also had a dog) as well as other minor issues in the apartment that were never repaired. I also know for a fact that someone else has already moved into our old apartment and the floors will probably not be repaired in the next year (no repairs were made in the year we were there despite us brining them up).

I am not denying that there were scratches caused by our dog, however they're not really noticable and they're in one small section (I've tried to attach an image below). I know it's hard to define, but could this be considered normal wear and tear? Especially if he's not actually going to make any repairs? It would be difficult for us to prove, but we're pretty sure the landlord is pocketing the money, as there were no repairs done before we moved in or when we followed up about them. Is he required to prove that it will be repaired or that's where the money is going?

Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170728_125250.jpg
    20170728_125250.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 1
Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!

If you disagree with the amount the LL is charging, your remedy can be pursued in the appropriate small claims court in the county where the property sits.

You'll also have to pay the court for the privilege to pursue your remedy and chase the loot you believe is yours.

You'll be required to throw good money after bad.

If you prevail, you don't get cash, you get the filing fees and court costs added to the judgment (legal HE-OWE_U).

The pursuit of a remedy doesn't guarantee an outcome in your favor, it means you'll be allowed to make your case to a judge, as will the LL.

The landlord need not make the repairs.

It is his property to repair or destroy.

If he can convince a judge that the damages are warranted, he'll keep the loot.

If you prevail, that doesn't mean you get the money.

It simply means you get a judgment, which you must then perfect, and attempt to enforce.

Damage from a pet, even if minor, will never be considered normal wear and tear.
It sounds like you may have gotten lucky with the pet deposit because very often it is just as the landlord stated.

As above, if you disagree with the amount you are being charged you can either try to negotiate a settlement with the landlord or resolve it in court.

Back