Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft OH MY GOD! second petty theft offense in 2 mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

petty

Ok so i know people are stupid and make mistakes. i was busted for petty theft from chicks 2 months ago and given community service and probation. well one of my co-workers snitched on me so out of anger i took her bracelet and she decided to file charges. i was again arrested and realeased with a new court date. what is going to happen? i heard it can be a felony, felony petty theft with a prior. Do i need a lawyer? i am scared i am going to jail. any advice is greatly appreciated. i am very scared.

hello

does anyone actually reply to these things, i am really scared and don't know whether it is safe to go with a public defender, if anyone could help that would be great!

petty said:
Ok so i know people are stupid and make mistakes. i was busted for petty theft from chicks 2 months ago and given community service and probation. well one of my co-workers snitched on me so out of anger i took her bracelet and she decided to file charges. i was again arrested and realeased with a new court date. what is going to happen? i heard it can be a felony, felony petty theft with a prior. Do i need a lawyer? i am scared i am going to jail. any advice is greatly appreciated. i am very scared.
What state did this happen in?

How did you steal her bracelet? From her person? From her locker or purse?

If you are charged, it woul dbe best to contact an an attorney.

- Carl

it was just sitting on the couter, in plain sight, i didn't maliciously take it or go looking for it. i am in california. i was thinking of just going with a public defender.

You will only be charged with the petty theft with a prior if you served any jail time for the first theft. If you never served sentenced time in jail (or if they did not count any of your pre-trial custody time as time served), then you likely face only petty theft.

If you can afford a private attorney, the court will not assign you a public defender. Each county sets its own criteria for PDs.

- Carl

i did not serve any jail time, at least i don't think i did. i was arrested and booked but then i was immediatly realeased. but on my probation notice it does say that i recieved 1 day for time served from just being booked, because i guess sometimes you can just be issued a ticket and go to court without even being cuffed. thank you for your help. so does that mean i could face petty with a prior. but also one police officer i talked to said that for you to go to jail for petty theft you would have to do it like 5 or 6 times.

It is pretty standard for the judge to order time served in order to trigger PC 666 (theft with a prior) on a future arrest.

You COULD do jail time, but I would doubt it.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

thanks a lot for your help, hopefully if the judge does does issue jail it will only be for a day or two, i really don't want to go but i have to pay for what i did. hopefully the da won't file it as a felony because i don't want a felony on my record. what about the fact i violated my probation. i finished my community service of 100 hours for my first offense today, so i am going to go turn that in the the court to finish off that case, hopefullly that will help, do you think it will?

Not knowing or being familar with your local DA or courts, I couldn't hazard a guess as to how it might be filed. I would still recommend consulting an attorney. If you do no thave counsel at arraignement ask the court for court appointed counsel ... provided you are eligible due to your financial situation.

- Carl

Do you need help to stop stealing? Some people cant help it... its compulsive. You might want to tell someone so you can get it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back