Off to court....no attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataloss

Well, first of all, I am from Mississippi

So.... here's my story.

My husband stole over $3000 from his previous employer. Of course, he was fired and charged with embezzlement. He went behind my back to retain an attorney. He made an arrangement with her to pay $225 a week until he had paid her fee of $3000 as well as what he owes his previous employer. Well, we could not afford to pay that much weekly. When I found out what he had arranged, I warned him that there was no way we could pay that much each week. He refused to listen to me and he fell behind in his payments. Now he has court coming up (Jan. 22) and his lawyer has refused to represent him since he hasn't paid the full amount due. That is completely understandable.

Here's my question...

What will happen when he goes to court with no lawyer? What sort of punishment is usually handed down for this sort of crime? I suggested that he borrow the money (which I refuse to be a part of) and try to pay. The problem there is that he has already taken out several loans (behind my back) again and has overextended his credit.

I know I sound rather foolish for not knowing what was going on with him but we work opposite shifts at our jobs. I see him maybe two days out of each week. My focus has and will remain on our two children and the probable divorce that seems inevitable at this point...... but that's for another thread...

Thank you for any adivce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back