NY park regulation violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

centralpark

Last weekend I was visiting New York city (I live in TN). I flew late at night and decided to take a walk with my sister to see Rockefeller tree. It was late at night, around 2:30am. We were walking on West 59th street when a police van pulled over and the cop inside asked for our id. We asked why as we were not doing anything wrong. He said that there are a lot of robberies and asked us to stand in front of the van in the light. We stayed there for 40 minutes and it was rather cold. Finally, we were both given 2 citations each for violating park regulations (one - disobeying signs and second - violation of hours of operation). We were on the street that runs along the Central Park but were never even stepped into the park. I feel very angry about this as I feel I was victimized by police.
I do not know whether I should plead not guilty and send along a letter explaining everything. Actually, the cop was not very smart and put the street address on the summons which if you looked up on the map shows that this is outside of the park. Would this help?
Would I need to show up in court at a later date? This would add at least $300 to fly there not talking about time off work.
What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back